• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Is it worth reloading for 223/5.56

Christian George

Default rank <15 posts
Outdoorsman
3   0
Reaction score
I shoot about 1000 rounds every 2 months. Would it be worth investing in some reloading equipment. If so what is a good set up for my shooting habits? Would I end up paying off the equipment with how much I shoot? I’m absolutely clueless when it comes to reloading. Thanks

Today 556 target rounds are going to cost
.10 bullet
.15 powder $40 a pound mid range cost
.09 primer
.05 case
That is .39 cents / round with about .02 in expendable cost for case tumbling.
It is not going to pay off for a long time but you do get better more consistent rounds when you get practice making them.
I would not make 500 / month on anything less than a dillon 1050 unless you have a lot of time to kill. If properly prepared you can make 500 rounds per hour fairly easily on a 1050 if the brass is clean and in decent shape.
This is buying supplies in quantity at recent prices.
Last time I checked a 1050 setup was roughly $2500. But a dillon 1050 or 1100 will gain in value over the years. It is not a cost that you lose over time.

Just my 2c..

I have also done the math and shoot a similar amount. It just doesn’t pan out at todays prices of 223.

Now I will say 223 was meant to be used in volume and that’s how we shoot it. Plz know there is a place for accuracy with 5.56-hence the super sweet Barnes 77gr smkhpbt rounds. But for the most part we shoot close enough at 100yrds.

If you really want to learn how to and do it for fun (like a retirement hobby) then I say go for it. But we aren’t talking .308 super match long range stuff. We’re talking 30rnd at a time hitting metal targets.

Personally I get most of my 223 from blackdot ammo. I LOVE their 62gr 223. No it’s not metal cored. But pretty reliable. Aaaand, no unfortunately I am NOT being paid to say that. Just good stuff at great prices.

It depends on what you're trying to do. If you're shooting a custom rifle, then to get the most out of your investment would be to reload. It wouldn't be cheap, but you'd be surprised at what a custom setup can do if you can do your part. If you're just spraying ammo, then just buy bulk ammo

Back
Top Bottom