• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is NASCAR Dying?

To me, this year has been a bit better than the last few because of spoiler changes. ( I am in it for the crashes and last lap battles) ....back in the days of Davy Allison and Alan Kulwicki, Harry Gant was my man... Yes modern NASCAR DOES SUCK.

I,too, was stunned at the Bristol attendance. The local economy HAS to be impacted because of this. Not until NASCAR returns to racing the cars you and I could buy and recognize on the track will it interest me. Either that or forgo the rules and build the baddest mother you can field. I know the latter option will have only rich guys racing, but at least it would be interesting to watch.

Yep, nascar is just another "show" now. Has been for awhile. One time I was at Atlanta, the guys behind us didn't know who the drivers were..this was in 2001. Did take my wife to a race in 06, she had never been to one. First time excitement was fun for her. Like I have said before, it's like wrestlin' now....geared to Hendrick and his boys... Bristol used to be a five year wait for tickets..wow. ..... another note, now Moto GP and Superbikes are on a pay channel, so, not much racin' for me this year.

It is gone.
Daie Earhardt.jpg
Confederate Flag.jpg

I think Jeff Gordon retiring and Tony Stewart being out was limited the crowds as well. Like 'em or not they both have/had a large fan base and they are probably not attending. I have not attended 2 races so far this year that I had planned to go to just because Stewart is out. Looks like I may miss more as well.

The price for the weekend is just too high as well. It usally costs $600-$800 minimum for the weekend just for 2 people. tickets, camping/lodging, beer, food, gas, etc.. it adds up quick.

One thing that is extermely funny to me is the stance that some of the tracks have taken. Since the races aren't selling out they have decided to remove some of the seats instead of lowering the prices. They are trying to create a false shortage of tickets to keep the prices high.

I like most forms of racing, but have never really cared for nascar for some reason. Maybe if the cars were closer to what you could actually buy at the stealerships it would be more interesting for me. It would have been nice to have kept it to domestic manufacturers as well, but I don't care if other drivers from other countries raced. It seems like a crooked organization with favoritism given to certain drivers and teams though.
Plenty of other activities I'd rather waste time on than nascar.

Good thread. For some reason, and I can't put my finger on it, my interest had just waned over the last few years. I will day the Chase thing doesn't do crap for me. At the same time nascar has lost my attention, F1 has really grown on meet.

Back
Top Bottom