• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is powder good after......

UH60Driver

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
48   0
Reaction score
I need some help with powder life, and I'd appreciate advice, input, and ideas from any of you. I began reloading my own ammo last year, then my we got pregnant. So I haven't touched the lee equipment since last year. I left a good bit in the container that mounts on the lee classic (with the lid/top on it). I want to know if it is still considered good powder or if I should toss it and start over. Thanks in advance for the help

Load it and shoot it. I've kept and used powder for several several years...no issues. Think about surplus military Ammo....some of that stuff has been loaded for decades and it still shoots good...granted it is loaded in brass cases but the powder doesn't know the difference between that and being in a water tight jug. Keeping the moisture out is key!

As long as it is kept properly, powder has no expiration date. As stated above, keeping it in climate controlled area is best. But as long as there isn't any moisture, it should be good. I've got powder that's 30-40 yrs old from my dad....still good as new!

I personally would use it for fire starter. But as long as your not trying to make match loads, as has been stated I'm sure its fine for pinking ammo. My loading equipment is out in the garage so I know if I left it in the powder thrower at the very least I'd take a small sample and make sure it lit easily off a spark before loading it.. Of course do this in a safe area and not near your loading equipment :lol:

As long as it was in a climate controlled area powders are usually still good to use.

As above statements try loading cases a few and see to make a certain that the powder will ignite before loading a lot of cases.....

If they shoot then proceed with your loading...

Test in the past have dated powder (Smokeless) at a expected life of 50 plus years, actual life is kind of unknown.
this of course is if its stored properly.
just take a small amount of the powder, lay it on the grass (not dry grass) and lite it, if it burns then you likely are good to go.
smokeless powder that is bad or is deteriating will normally have a strong ammonia odor to it.
it can decompose as its made form nitro cellulose (double based powder anyway).
its very seldom that you find bad powder.

The reloading manuals say that if it still smells like ether or alcohol, it's definitely good. If it has redish-orange dust building up in it, they claim it looks like rust, then it's definitely _not_ good. (I've never smelled the lack of ether, or seem the red dust.)

In between, I'd use it for plinking. But really, if you keep it in the cans, it's good for many decades. And probably at least a century if you load it.

Don't tell the gun-grabbers that; they probably think it will all go bad one day and we can all sing Kum-ba-yah in that utopian violence-free future...

I have several types of rifle powders that were bought in the mid 1970s that are still excellent. The IMR 4831 produces .6" groups from my 7mm Rem Mag. The only powder I have ever had go bad was some Red Dot and PB that were purchased in the late 1960s. Both smelled way different then they should have. The Red Dot burned eratically when I disposed of it, the PB would not burn at all.

Back
Top Bottom