• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is there less recoil with a light bullet than with a heavy bullet?

biker_bill

Marines Icon Supporter
USMC - Grunt
85   0
Reaction score
I've been loading the same damn 147gr 9's for a decade now. I worked to get a light load that would work in all my pistols.

It's time to order another zillion bullets and before I do I figured I'd see if anyone knows if there's a difference.

I know I'll need more powder for a lighter bullet, but I'm sitting on an 8 pound jug. That's like 16k rounds the way I'm loading them now. That'll last long enough for a lighter bullet, lol.

What'cha know?

First let's be clear-- recoil is momentum, and that calculated by multiplying bullet mass by exit velocity, and adding the powder mass and its exit velocity. You're asking about felt recoil, which is subjective.

You probably want to know which one has less recoil, with both loaded to the same Power Factor.

That said, many folks claim to feel less recoil and muzzle flip with the 147s-- and even 158s at lower speed than a 115 or 124 at higher speed. I don't notice much of a difference with them loaded to the same PF. Your mileage may vary, but after I tried it, I just stuck with the 124s.

The lighter bullets are cheaper though! Lower shipping charges, also.

Do try the plastic coated lead bullets (I'm assuming you are shooting lead). Coating doesn't cost much, but cuts down on the smoke and leading.

The short answer is yes, all other things being equal. There are 3 elements to recoil:
1. Weight of the ejecta (bullet or shot + wad)
2. Velocity of the ejecta (depends on the powder charge)
3. Weight of the gun.

That's it, only 3 things and it can be measured in a lab. Subjective recoil depends on other factors such as the shooter, type of action, gun fit, etc etc etc.

First let's be clear-- recoil is momentum, and that calculated by multiplying bullet mass by exit velocity, and adding the powder mass and its exit velocity. You're asking about felt recoil, which is subjective.

You probably want to know which one has less recoil, with both loaded to the same Power Factor.

That said, many folks claim to feel less recoil and muzzle flip with the 147s-- and even 158s at lower speed than a 115 or 124 at higher speed. I don't notice much of a difference with them loaded to the same PF. Your mileage may vary, but after I tried it, I just stuck with the 124s.

The lighter bullets are cheaper though! Lower shipping charges, also.

Do try the plastic coated lead bullets (I'm assuming you are shooting lead). Coating doesn't cost much, but cuts down on the smoke and leading.

Yes I like those coated bullets and have been using those for the .45 for awhile. I was planning on buying the coated bullets this time. Another advantage of the coated is you're not handling as much lead. Lead builds up and I've been handling it for many years, I'm surprised I've not gone crazy yet. (Though some would disagree, lol.)

I guess I'll save a couple bucks per thousand and buy the 124's, but I'll expect no difference in felt recoil....

Thanks for your reply bud.

I've known quite a few shooters who shot a lot (myself included) who experienced joint pain in the elbows when shooting large volumes of 147 gr. 9mm rds. that were able to eliminate the pain by switching to 124 or 115 gr. rds.
The same phenomenon is especially noticeable with .38 specials & 44 mag. in pistols.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom