• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Is this a good starter kit

ya, thats my problem, i need someone near me. ive read that you should get the manual for the equipment your going to use. i had someone give me some horandy dyes so do i need to use a horandy press or are they universal. i also want to know is it worth it to get a better press because i will be reloading for my 3 cousins and myself and maby a few other people. so i will be doing alot. mostly 9, 45, 223, 30-30 and 7 rem mag

ya, thats my problem, i need someone near me. ive read that you should get the manual for the equipment your going to use. i had someone give me some horandy dyes so do i need to use a horandy press or are they universal. i also want to know is it worth it to get a better press because i will be reloading for my 3 cousins and myself and maby a few other people. so i will be doing alot. mostly 9, 45, 223, 30-30 and 7 rem mag

Definitely, get a reloading manual or three and read them before reloading.

As for dies, you can use most dies on most any press. I use Lee, RCBS, Lyman and Redding dies on Lee, RCBS, Redding and Dillon presses. Also, feel free to mix and match. I like Lee sizing dies for pistol but I prefer Redding crimp dies.

I would say that the press in the link you provided is a good start. I started with a RCBS Rock Chucker that was used when I got it years ago and it is still a solid press. Will you buy others, of course but you will always use a single stage press.

Have fun and be safe!

I haven't been impressed by SmartReloader's quality. And you should really get an "O" style single stage press (see the press in your first link). It is supported in the front and back (they are much stronger).

I just started reloading not too long ago and went with the Lee Challenger Breech Lock kit. It was on sale at Midway for just over $100. The only thing I'm not 100% satisfied with is the hand primer, it has a tendency to stack primers where it feeds them to be seated. The shellholders for the hand primer also seem to have a little too much play in them which can cause the case to tilt during primer seating, resulting in a primer that isn't seated straight. To stop this, I seat the primer, rotate the case 180° and give it another bump with the seater. This gets them in there straight, as they should be. Not a huge inconvenience, just one of those minor annoyances. Other than that I'm very pleased with the kit, as it comes with all the essentials that aren't caliber specific. Very simple set up, nothing to it really. I do like the breech lock feature since you can switch between dies/calibers very quickly without having to set up your dies every time (though I have been checking them each time so far just to gain some confidence in the system).

Back
Top Bottom