• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

It’s none of my business but…..

Wow that is a rare duck there do you have any pictures of the one you have? Defiantly not something that pops up every day and most certainly not a $500 gun. These were contracted for WW1 by the US government to be made in Quebec Canada but weren't made until after the war had ended

I feel your pain. My Dad took a year sorting through my grandmother's extensive antique collection after she passed. One problem was Antique Roadshow was on TV and he was afraid he be that guy that sold a $10,000 item for $10 at a yard sale. Unless the guns have some historical or heirloom value I suspect the present value has little value to what your uncle paid for it. The $69 sks now going for >$1000 is a good example. Hopefully, you can take your time and enjoy the trip down memory lane while looking through your uncle's stuff.

As an attorney I have heard horror stories about a person dying and their executor of their estate giving away, throwing away, or selling for peanuts items they were actually quite valuable and should have been publicly advertised and auctioned to interested buyers. Guns, yes, but not just those! So many things --art, furniture, sporting equipment, cars, boats... you just don't know what it's worth buy looking at it! To somebody who doesn't play golf a first generation Big Bertha driver looks just like a $39 knock off of a Big Bertha, made in China, that you can buy at any flea market today.

Yes, we gun owners should take the time in effort to educate our heirs, and the executors named in our wills (whose job it is to carry out the liquidation of our assets when we die) on what we have, what is worth today, or at least offer some guidance about what steps they can take to find out it's current fair market value at some point in the future.

Also, as an Attorney I have personally witnessed problems that come up when a person dies owning several different investments, insurance policies, and financial assets, and their family cannot locate them all after death.

Often the papers related to these important financial documents and insurance policies are mixed among junk mail and will often get thrown out or stuffed into cardboard boxes and put out in the garage like so much junk.

But the executor of the estate will need these documents to find out what the deceased person owned and what money is available to be distributed to the heirs.

It's a good idea to write up a letter that you keep in a private secure place but the location of that place is known to and access is granted to the person who will be the executor of your estate and in that letter you should identify all the different bank accounts investments and insurance policies that you have or on which you are named to have some benefit or legal interest. You should put down the contact information for these companies or your CPA or other financial advisor that can help your executor locate them.

Back
Top Bottom