• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

It's that time of year...

calebp

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
231   0
Reaction score
Where I dream about starting to deer hunt. Only been once with my uncle when I was like 12. Climber stand, saw nothing for 4 hours. Came home. I have a 9 year old boy I'd like to start walking around WMAs with and seeing what we see but don't know the first thing about ground hunting or really any type of hunting other than squirrel. Couple of questions.

-Anybody got a good "dummys guide to deer hunting" they could recommend?
-Can you successfully ground hunt a WMA in North GA?
-I can't see in the dusk/dark. Is that going to screw me?
-Best cheapy intro rifle/caliber for a 9 year old?

Thanks!
Caleb

Lots of reading/research will help. Study and practice proper gun safety. I was never taught to hunt, it took me three years of trying to figure it out to get my first deer. It was frustrating but very rewarding. Stay still, be patient, ignore your phone when you get bored, for some reason they like to pop up when your distracted. You don't have to have alot of fancy gadgets or camo.

20221203_073048.jpg

Ga DNR hosts a hunt and learn event every year. You can attend those with your son. Very informative and would be a good introduction for both of you.

savage makes a good cheap rifle. if you have a AR you could always get a upper in 350 legend.
target practice, lots of it. make sure your shots count.
its hard to walk hunt deer in Ga, we dont have the wide open areas like you see in the shows. you dont need much as far as gear. make sure you have plenty of orange. as far as hunting wear, just a some light colored ( brown,tan,or green) clothes, you can camo up, but when you look at what works, deer camo real well and they are brown and white....
ask around, you may find a old farmer who will let you hunt on their land. the WMA's will work, but they can get overloaded...

Back
Top Bottom