• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

James Yeager Redux

I'm not a professional firearms instructor. I don't make any claims to be one either. With the few folks that I've worked with I've been able to correct those particular issues from the side or by watching their target. Ball and Dummy Drills work well for that particular set of issues as well. YMMV.

There's an IDPA match at Cherokee Gun Club the first Sunday of every month. You should come out and give it a try if you haven't already. It's not the real world and it's not training but it does provide a good litmus test.

Finals for the next two weeks, would if I could.

Gotcha, so say something like a glock with an extremely short reset, after firing thousands of rounds through it, I know that trigger like the back of my hand. is it still bad practice to shoot from reset since it has become muscle memory to "know" my trigger? Hell I can tell if my gun is empty based on whether or not it pushes against my finger as i'm letting off.

And I will bet you a months base pay that none of the above will be evident to you if you ever find yourself responding to a sudden armed (read gunfire) attack.

I have had the opprotunity to be be in more than one armed encounter (read gunfight), both in the military and civilian (LEO)realm. I do not by the way feel fortunate to have had these experiences. In fact at the time I considered it most unfortunate! I simply state it because it relates to this conversation.

I can tell you that most of the skill set that we learn from typical range time does not serve us well, and in some cases in any way on the "Two Way Range". Why do police officers that average above 80% on the range hit about 25% in a Dynamic Critical Incident (a fact I believe is paralled in the military just not as well documented)? By defination a Dynamic Critical Incident is difined as: Any uncontrolled unexpected situation, which involves or requires the use of, or serious threat of violent leathal force. Is it because they apply the same skill set that is sucessful on the range and suddly become bad shooters? In a word.........NOPE. It is because the skill set that they have learned on a marksmenship focused range has little relevance to the gunfight.

The mantra "You Better Train the Way You Want to fight, Because You Will Fight The Way You Trained" I believe is a myth. I have come to believe, not on my own by the way but through experience and very costly but very well worth it instruction, that we are hard wired to respond to an unexpected violent threat in a specific physical/mental way and we have to learn to fight within that hardwired response. "Train The Way You Will Fight, Because You Will Respond In A Specific Way" is the mantra I now understand to be true.

Trigger reset and "feeling" the empty weapon are but a few examples of things the serve and work well on the range, GSSF shoot, IDPA match and at the same time have little value in response to a dynamic critical incident.

Now as for Mr. Yeager, I would not spend any of my own money to train at Tactical Response. Is his training revelant in the context of defensive gunfighting? Has anyone slotted for a PSD assignment ever attended his "High Risk Civilian Contractor" courses. I don't know and have no basis of knowledge to form an intelligent response. I have veiwed the video and read the AAR of the action on Route Irish. I find nothing in either of those that justifies the 'Coward" label the internet commandos have hung around his neck. Did he make mistakes? Did he make deflecting and course statements about the events? Maybe so, but by his own admission he had no military/combat experience. He was a "Novice" responding as best as he could under the circumstances.

If we have attended a man's training and want to comment on the good/bad/ugly.....fire away.

If we don't like the way he responded to ambush on Route Irish, unless we had skin in the game, who cares what we think.

Last edited:
I can tell if my gun is empty based on whether or not it pushes against my finger as i'm letting off.

www.lolwut.com_layout_lolwut.jpg

I have veiwed the video and read the AAR of the action on Route Irish. I find nothing in either of those that justifies the 'Coward" label the internet commandos have hung around his neck. Did he make mistakes? Did he make deflecting and course statements about the events? Maybe so, but by his own admission he had no military/combat experience. He was a "Novice" responding as best as he could under the circumstances.

If we have attended a man's training and want to comment on the good/bad/ugly.....fire away.

If we don't like the way he responded to ambush on Route Irish, unless we had skin in the game, who cares what we think.
www.insidefacebook.com_wp_content_uploads_2012_07_facebook_like_button_big.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom