• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jeep 3.0 Deisel Opinions

Smiley

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
58   0
Reaction score
So, I am beginning to look at a new(er) Grand Cherokee. After selling my Wrangler to make room for the kids, I have really grown to like the creature comforts of the Grand.

My 5.7 has been flawless, but the new 3.0 VM Motori Deisel has caught my attention with its 420lb-ft of torque. I don't tow a tremendous amount of weight but when I do, I like how the Hemi pulls it effortlessly. I also don't drive a lot. My commute is less than 5 miles one way.

That said, the fuel mileage on the diesel is impressive and by the numbers, could get me to and from work for two months on a tank of fuel. And, with a hwy range of nearly 700 miles, a trip to the beach and back can be had on one tank.

Anyone have any experience with these diesels? Reliability would be my only concern with them...

The only thing I will say is that if your commute is only 5 miles, don't expect exceptional fuel economy. It won't be awful, but it won't be great. But I have no personal experience with them.

The diesel engine they use is the Mercedes- Benz OM642, i personally picked this over the hemi. The hemi has more horse power but less torque than the diesel. Offroad tires aren't rated for high speed so the extra horsepower is wasted, if you get the hemi. 5.7-liter Hemi V8 delivers 360 horses and 390-lb-ft of torque. 3.0-liter diesel with 240 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque. I will take toque over horse power any day. You will also be saving a lot of money in gas with the diesel. I own a WK 3.0L diesel only problem I've had in 320k miles is the glow plugs going bad.

Most gasoline engines today will go 300-400k without a serious mechanical failure. With the government instigated emissions controls, etc, notwithstanding the fuel price is about 40 cents higher than regular in my area, almost all of the diesel advantages are negated, except if you do a lot of towing. I have four diesel vehicles and will not buy another one for everyday highway use.

Oh, and most Jeep/Dodge dealer-techs working on Mercedes 6.0 diesels do not understand how they work and rely on a computer entirely, changing parts until the problem goes away. If you luck into a German trained Mercedes diesel mechanic (I did) he can most likely save you a lot of grief.

Like stated above, for a 5 mile commute, you're not going to get great mileage. That little diesel will just be getting the oil warmed up good by the time you pull into work. If you had a longer commute, or towed alot, I would go with the diesel. Get the hemi or the pentastar. I have the pentastar in my Ram and love it. I have only towed 5K lbs behind it, but it did better than my old truck with the 4.7 would have. I average 22 mpg too.

The diesel engine they use is the Mercedes- Benz OM642, i personally picked this over the hemi. The hemi has more horse power but less torque than the diesel. Offroad tires aren't rated for high speed so the extra horsepower is wasted, if you get the hemi. 5.7-liter Hemi V8 delivers 360 horses and 390-lb-ft of torque. 3.0-liter diesel with 240 horsepower and 420 lb-ft of torque. I will take toque over horse power any day. You will also be saving a lot of money in gas with the diesel. I own a WK 3.0L diesel only problem I've had in 320k miles is the glow plugs going bad.

The new 3.0 diesel is a VM Motori motor, not the Mercedes. Development was started on the engine in cooperation with GM/Cadillac, but scrapped during the financial meltdown. FCA finished the development for the Ram 1500 and the Jeep GC.

Most gasoline engines today will go 300-400k without a serious mechanical failure. With the government instigated emissions controls, etc, notwithstanding the fuel price is about 40 cents higher than regular in my area, almost all of the diesel advantages are negated, except if you do a lot of towing. I have four diesel vehicles and will not buy another one for everyday highway use.

Oh, and most Jeep/Dodge dealer-techs working on Mercedes 6.0 diesels do not understand how they work and rely on a computer entirely, changing parts until the problem goes away. If you luck into a German trained Mercedes diesel mechanic (I did) he can most likely save you a lot of grief.

My fear is in the mechanical reliability, including the emissions systems. 2014 models had a lot of problems out of the gate, but over the last couple of years, they seem to have worked it out.

Fuel wise, the diesel gets about 40% more mileage than the Hemi. And to be fair, you have to compare apples to apples, the Hemi requires mid grade gas, which cost the same as diesel on average. Even if you consider regular gas, diesel is only 10% more, so the math actually does work out to an advantage. I like my current 5.7, but with the AWD I get 9-11mpg city, which is most of what I do.

If the new Hemi gets the mileage they claim, it may be pretty even. I've drove a couple of the v6 gas models and I would definitely rather have the v8. The pentastar is peppy, but the Hemi outshines it.

Towing wise, I do pull a small camper once a month. It doesn't weigh much, but it is nice to hit the highway and throw it in cruise control without having to worry about putting it in tow mode. I get 14 hwy towing the little thing with the Hemi.

Good info so far. I agree if you're not driving far, go with a gas engine. You're going to lose fuel in your tank due to time and evaporation. A diesel is really best on long hi way trips, that's where you'll really save on fuel.
I just did a little research on the jeep diesel myself. Jeep, Dodge and the like is currently owned by Fiat. Not a company known for reliability. The engine made by Ferrari, again not a company known for reliability. That said I own a Dodge with a Cummins. Quite possibly the longest lasting engine on the planet. Dodge has a site with these engines that have made the 3 million mile mark with many pages with over 1 million miles. I've always said that there will be a stock pile of these motors after they wear the chassis out. In cold weather Diesel fuel can jell as well. Thus causing some expensive problems. I know someone this happened to. He doesn't drive his truck much, cost him $1500 to fix it. I haven't had any problems yet. Mine like his is the older 5.9L engine. It'll run on anything that resembles diesel fuel and you don't have to add the blue fluid to it, pre 2007 model.

Didn't know they switched from the Mercedes diesel. Hopefully the VM is just as reliable. KingTuna talked about the time it takes to warm up the diesel. I just use auto start on my key thob while i make a cup of coffee.

The common rail diesel did terrible for the Liberty. I ignored that fact and looked into the Grand Cherokee diesel for my wife, but had a hard time finding one on the lot that was in a showable condition. They were either "in the shop" or "on an overnight test drive". We bought an Acadia and never looked back.

Back
Top Bottom