• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Jeep 4 cylinder 2.5 Power Mod question

spistols

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
310   0
Reaction score
I have a '93 2.5L manual trans 4x4 Cherokee. Has now about 183K. Body is excellent with no rust, AC cranks cold air out, and is good for off roading, so that is why I am keeping it.

However, the 2.5L is a dog when it comes to power. Did a tune-up: cap, rotor plugs, etc., and runs slightly better but still a dog. 75mph on the highway takes time to get up to.

Read that swapping to a 4.0 of the same year may be a chore or rather, more of a headache.

What is a good, simple, but noticeably effective mod to the motor to give me at least enough power to stop considering a complete motor change out?

Would new fuel injectors be an answer- and if so, exactly what type would I need?

Change the cam , Crane grinds low rpm torque cams better than anyone . The cam for you engine has to be special ordered direct from them . A slight clean up of the ports (gasket match )in the head and intake will help . If you do too much you kill low end power that you need . A header maybe , There is not much that you are going to do that is a bolt on . There is very little aftermarket support for the Jeep 4 . New injectors will take an ECM reflash . Again I don't think anyone is doing this for the 4 cylinder . The other option is to regear and give up road speed

You can swap out the stock injectors for some from a 4.0 ,I think it gives about 10 hp,look on some Jeep forums they have many tricks for increased performance.

Back
Top Bottom