• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jeep Tj transmission rebuild

cimino289

Default rank <2000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
52   0
Reaction score
Hey Everybody I was thinking of buying an older Tj so I may run into a higher mileage one anyone ever rebuilt a transmission on one and if so what was the cost? We're talking a manual transmission now so I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad. Also if anyone has rebuilt a 4 banger for one Id like to hear about that experience as well.

Southern Gear rebuilt mine.

You have to take it to them.

Their first attempt leaked transmission fluid from the front seal after i reinstalled it, took it back out and drove it back up there.

They made it right while I waited, and the second install worked without a hitch and it's been great since.

Got to the point where I can take a Jeep transmission out in about an hour...

FYI. I have a 94 yj. I tell people it's my motorcycle. Open top and safer. It was lifted 3 inches with 33 inch tires. Looks good but the gear ratio sucked. 5th was useless and always shifting 3rd and 4th. I just put in 4.56 gears and an Eaton locker in rear. 2800 bucks. And I am still spending money on it. Mine is 6 cyl. Don't think I would want a 4.

My rebuild on a 99 5 speed cost $995 and needed alot of new parts.I had to pull and install myself. I wouldn't have a 4 cyl,way underpowered.The 4.0 with a 5 speed runs strong.Mine has a cold air kit,header and flomaster and spins my 33's like a boss.:thumb:

InTune InTune send me some pics and Whats the mileage?
HaHa, it ain't for sail. Just sayin the gears and locker cost 2800 bucks. I just put that out there because I see a lot of jeeps for sail that have aftermarket big tires but the gearing is stock from factory. Rubicons come with 4.11 and the lockers from factory. I have a 6 cly. It it would not spin the 33's worth a sh@@. It had factory 3.07 gears. It would not preform well in low range. It would lunge and not crawl. I don't have lockers in the front. More money and I don't do any rock crawling

Back
Top Bottom