• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jeep Transmission rebuild

Gimmeguns

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
101   0
Reaction score
My synchro in 1st gear is shot. I've seen rebuild kits and would like to know how hard is it to rebuild a 5 speed manual AX 15 jeep wrangler transmission. 1994 model.

I think that if you have the time, the space to lay it out undisturbed, and a decent press you should be able to do it.
Just because you are considering doing it yourself means you probably have the experience or aptitude to do it.
The hardest part would be getting it back together with the shifter pawls, the proper front-rear orientation on those parts that need it, and checking tolerances where needed.

I've never done it, but, it is only so many pieces.

Now I drove an unsynchronized first gear three speed for years(6cyl 66 Mustang). It is a pain in the ass, you just have to completely stop before you put it in first.

It goes into first, but will poop out as soon as I let out the clutch. I have been starting off in 2nd gear.
Did a little off roading yesterday and would have liked 1st gear.

I am knoledegable to the point that I have to ask if it is the synchronizing ring that would cause that problem.
The cars I would work on....I would be looking at a linkage adjustment.
Good luck! That's all the help I can be.

I suppose the extra slop could do it if the ring is that far gone could cause it to do that.

Had everything replaced in my TJ (185 k) and was ragged out. $995 like new now.Had to pull and reinstall myself tho. PM me if you need the trans shops info:thumb:

Pull it yourself and have it rebuilt somewhere. It'll be less of a headache in the long run. Doing it yourself isn't impossible but it's not easy and not fun.

I'm gonna guess it's got a body lift or a t-case drop used with a low budget suspension lift.

What's happening is your shifter is hitting the tub and not fully going into first gear.
Easy way to check...

Pull the shifter boot/cover etc.
Put it in first... does the shifter rod/arm/lever hit the tub???

If so cut/grind the tub to remove the offending material until you have about a 1/4-1/2 inch of clearance.
Do not attempt to bend the shift rod...

Shifter hitting was my 1st thought as well. I pulled the boot and cover plate, it clears by more than an inch.
I traded for the jeep knowing it had this issues. I put new tires on it, tune up, new exhaust, new hanger straps, back seat, removed the carpet installed speaker bar and welded up a small hole in the driver side pan.
This is next to repair, cannot down shift to 2nd gear without coming to a complete stop, occassionaly grinds going into 3rd.
I'm gonna pull it and have it rebuilt. I'm also thinking about a clutch upgrade while I have it out.

Back
Top Bottom