• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Jeep Wrangler questions... Thinking about buying one

Something did not look right with this jeep, the font and size of the "rubicon" decal are wrong, it does not have the correct wheels etc. Being a Chrysler technician, I was able to run the VIN number and verify my suspicion. THIS IS A STANDARD WRANGLER UNLIMITED NOT A RUBICON. Proceed with caution!
What all can you pull up from the system? If I find one I'm interested in could I send you the vin and make sure it checks out?

I can see original build specs and options, selling dealer, original owner info, 24 month warranty claim history, available warranty remaining, any warranty restrictions etc. Feel free to P.M. a vin and I would be happy to check for any red flags.
Thank you sir.

My wife had an 06 unlimited with a 6-so. And now has a 2015 automatic without the extended wheelbase.
If towing a boat you will want the longer unlimited wheelbase....and probably the manual transmission.
Jeeps don't tow long, heavy stuff too well!

Reactions: JHW
Finally got a chance to go to the Jeep store on hwy 20 heading towards canton. Not real sure on the quality of their jeeps because most are bought at auction up north, but they do let you drive it without a salesman which is nice! Definitely like the manual better auto is very sluggish on shifts and doesn't feel like it has as much power.

Alright so another questions guys. Is it possible to de-lift a lifted Jeep? I am looking at one with a 3inch lift kit and was wondering if it would be relatively easy to put it back to factory ride height? I know nothing about lifting a vehicle any help is appreciated

It is possible to take it back to stock - take off stock parts should be pretty cheap too. However, IMO a Jeep NEEDS a 3" lift and 33" tires to look right.

Regarding the 4-door models, I will say that I rented one in Moab a couple of years ago and was very impressed with its' abilities on the trail. It was a 2013 Rubicon and had a mild 3"ish lift and 33s. I hooked up with a local on the trail and we did many of the optional obstacles on the Hells Revenge trail and the Jeep did great - I only engaged the front locker once. I have a lot of experience on Moab trails in my heavily modified Bronco and, while the Jeep wasn't as capable as my Bronco, it opened my eyes to possibly owning a Jeep some day.

Alright so another questions guys. Is it possible to de-lift a lifted Jeep? I am looking at one with a 3inch lift kit and was wondering if it would be relatively easy to put it back to factory ride height? I know nothing about lifting a vehicle any help is appreciated

Yes, you can delift it.

Lifts are done by replacing stock springs and shocks , so going back to stock units will do it. Some have changed the pitman arm on the lift to lessen bump steer, some just live with it. So ,ake sure the pitman arm is stock.

Also, check length of flex brake hoses, on lifts over several inches, those are changed.

I prefer stock height and 235 tires. Better handling, better gas mileage, and better braking performance than with the big tires, but I am an old guy, what can I say?

That 4 liter is a good motor. You should be able do drop the oil pan and service the main and rod bearings if the need arises, without pullong the engine. I did mine and took low oil pressure back to new engine levels. This is detailed in the factory maintenance manual.

There are 3 different manual transmissions that you might find with a 4.0. In order of preference, ax-15, NV3550, and (preferred) NSG370.

I have the ax-15, but would likely go with something else if I need to replace it.

image.jpeg

Wish I would have known, I just recently sold mine. I miss it already

Man, I just went through that whole deal of trying to find a good wrangler (2 Door) at a decent price (that I was willing to pay). I wanted a JK though and after 3 months of searching, I did find one for a price I was OK with. Only thing is, I had to go to South Carolina to get it. Not a big deal since I am on the East side of Georgia. It was getting to the point where I was actually getting tired of driving all over Georgia to look at and, test drive a supposedly good jeep only to be disappointed.

Ended up finding a Wrangler X, JK, 2008 model with perfect maintenance records, a clean title, and perfect Car Fax Report with only 32,000 original miles on it. Perfect condition and dealer maintained. cost me 19K though but here she is. and good luck in your search. Seems that Jeeps are demanding a pretty high premium for a good one these days.

Attachments

• IMG_7148.JPG
    IMG_7148.JPG
    68.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7163.JPG
    IMG_7163.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_7164.JPG
    IMG_7164.JPG
    68.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_7191.JPG
    IMG_7191.JPG