• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Jeep Wrangler / Unlimited owners: Need advice

RHelton10

Default rank <4000 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
422   0
Reaction score
I'm obsessed with the new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (the 4-door for non-Jeep people) and may possibly get one, but admittedly it's not the best choice for me and my job. I'm looking for some "convincing" points to help me make up my mind.

I'm really only wanting advice from Wrangler / Unlimited owners. Nothing against other Jeeps, but I'm not shopping for them.

**How many miles do you have on your Jeep? (I know Jeep used to have transmission issues with high mileage; just wondering if it's gotten better)

**What's your average fuel economy / motor size? Any upgrades to drive train like different size gear?

**What repairs have you had to complete other than normal / scheduled maintenance?

About me: I drive a good bit. Ok, A LOT. Let me put it this way; my 2005 Acura was purchased new and has 240K miles on it. I'm not driving nearly as much as I once did, but can still easily put 4-500 miles a week on a car, so high mileage and fuel economy is important. Like I said, I know that a Jeep may be unrealistic but...I REALLY want one!!

I might keep my Acura and make a Jeep a weekend car but eventually my car will have to go so I don't know what I want to do yet.

2010 Jeep Wrangler 4 door with 94,000 miles and runs perfect never in shop except for regular fluid changes
before the lift and tires were getting 21MPG on hwy
after lift with 35" tires 14MPG
after adding Super Chip programmer $300 part 16 MPG and more power since heavier tires were added

Im thinking if you want a jeep and you are concerned with fuel economy you should buy a cheap civic and a cheap jeep.

Thanks, but I already own a car that gets good fuel economy (the acura I mentioned in my post) and I haven't been able to find a cheap Unlimited :confused: That's really the only Jeep that I want right now. I just don't want to buy an Unlimited and then deicide it was a bad decision because I was clueless as to what I was getting into with repair costs, etc.

- - - Updated - - -

2010 Jeep Wrangler 4 door with 94,000 miles and runs perfect never in shop except for regular fluid changes
before the lift and tires were getting 21MPG on hwy
after lift with 35" tires 14MPG
after adding Super Chip programmer $300 part 16 MPG and more power since heavier tires were added

See I could probably get away with the 21 mpg but, like you, I'd probably have to have the bigger tires and lift kit as well. What to do, what to do...

I will tell you the Jeeps are Addictive. You might start with a stock Jeep and like it but then you will be buying lifts, wheels, tires,Bumpers, Lights, Winches..They are an AWESOME ride and I have owned 7 so far..
jk.jpg

Last edited:
i owned a 07 sahara,it was the first year of the new body stlye and the new v6. i liked it ok ,but they have no power what so ever..mine was the 2 door im sure the 4 door rides better it having a longer wheel base

The only factor that needs considering is: will you let me borrow it to take to mountains on vacation? If yes then go for it; if not... well screw you then. :) LOL

2002 TJ
4.0L 124,500mi
5 Speed NV3550 Trans.
NP231 Transfer case
Used to drive from Athens to Sandy Springs.
If you are worried about fuel economy; get another vehicle. Best I have ever heard of was 26mpg and that was a with a GM conversion. I average around 15-18 mpg. Hard tops help! I wouldn't trade any of my Jeeps for anything in the world!

(P.S. as a Jeep purist I don't consider 4 door models as real Wranglers :rolleyes: YMMV)

2010 Unlimited
V6 3.8. Last I checked it's at 17,000 miles.
Power is anemic to say the least.
Best mileage ever - 21mpg on the stock pizza cutter steel wheels and tiny tires. Routinely gets 16mpg tooling around now. I installed 18" Sahara wheels, which once they're worn out, I'm probably going down to a 16" steel.
Other than that, it's pretty much stock except for some Hella Comet 500 lights and a hitch I installed.

I've towed my 16' car trailer with it as well. With 3K lbs cargo on it. (M35A2 LDT multifuel engine) Trailer weighs ~2500lbs, So it was almost double the recommended towing weight. On flat ground it was fine, stopping it was fine. But it ran at redline in 1st gear going up a small mountain on the trek home. I didn't like to do it, but unfortunately it was the only way I had to get the engine home at that time.

I will say I'm impressed by the traction control for my wife. Two years back when we had that bad snow storm, I got out and thought I'd play a bit. It simply will NOT let you spin out or even rev the engine in slushy conditions. Course if you hit the traction control button they will.

I'm ok with it. It's a jeep I can haul the family around in. But if we EVER get a diesel option, I will be trading it in. I love my wife's Liberty CRD. It's not a power house, but it's got a lot more torque.

Back
Top Bottom