• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Jeep's... talk to me

Jeeps, talk to me about them.

I'm seriously contemplating a 2015-2017 4 door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited but have very little experience in the overall type of vehicle.

I already have 3 good working vehicles but I want something that I can just have fun in...

I have an 08 Rubicon unlimited, let me say before I list the problems that I love my Jeep

Paint jobs on jeeps are subpar at best, most of this happens around the hinges because of the doors being taken off but mines not a pavement princess so I will just powder coat the stuff and move on, mine came from up north so the bottom had a ton of surface rust but nothing that was terrible except the exhaust system which I replaced

The Rubicons have a “Smartbar” electronic sway bar system, they are junk, my Jeep only has 65,000 miles and mine stopped working so I had a normal sway bar with manual disconnects installed, this is a common problem and the units are 1300-1500 just for the part, I believe the JLs smartbar has been redesigned.

Some people have problems with their lockers on their Rubicons and they are very expensive, mine work fine but this may just be a case of if you don’t ever engage stuff like that it tends to stop working eventually

Rubicons have rock sliders on them from the factory, if you’re going to want a step bar take that into consideration. They have to come off for it to go on and if you do any moderately difficult trail then they need to be on there, they make sliders that have steps built on.

Just some things that iv had to deal with, not everyone has issue with these things but it is stuff that isn’t exclusive to just my Jeep

I have an 08 Rubicon unlimited, let me say before I list the problems that I love my Jeep

Paint jobs on jeeps are subpar at best, most of this happens around the hinges because of the doors being taken off but mines not a pavement princess so I will just powder coat the stuff and move on, mine came from up north so the bottom had a ton of surface rust but nothing that was terrible except the exhaust system which I replaced

The Rubicons have a “Smartbar” electronic sway bar system, they are junk, my Jeep only has 65,000 miles and mine stopped working so I had a normal sway bar with manual disconnects installed, this is a common problem and the units are 1300-1500 just for the part, I believe the JLs smartbar has been redesigned.

Some people have problems with their lockers on their Rubicons and they are very expensive, mine work fine but this may just be a case of if you don’t ever engage stuff like that it tends to stop working eventually

Rubicons have rock sliders on them from the factory, if you’re going to want a step bar take that into consideration. They have to come off for it to go on and if you do any moderately difficult trail then they need to be on there, they make sliders that have steps built on.

Just some things that iv had to deal with, not everyone has issue with these things but it is stuff that isn’t exclusive to just my Jeep

Both of the reasons you listed contributed to our decision to go with the Sport S. Other than the front axle factor we figure we will just start with the basics and build the Jeep with the options we'd like. I'd love to have a Rubicon out of the box but now we have manual disconnects and eventually I will add an Eaton E locker.

K, this ain't rocket science. Jeeps are expensive. Old Jeeps are expensive, New Jeeps are more expensive. Jeeps are fun and cool. Fun and cool are ( you guessed it) expensive. It doesn't really matter if it's a 2 door or 4 door. Four doors mean more people can go topless. More people is expensive. Jeeps can go just about anywhere and everywhere. If you try to go anywhere and every where and break something... It's expensive. I try to stay away from 4cylinder engines and 4 cylinder engines, trying to keep them running is aggrivating, and expensive. Now my last point , the jeep wave.....nothing on the road and yes it's expensive but worth every frickin penny!!

Sorry, meant to say 4 cylinders and carburetors.and the 4 cylinders and not so bad in a stock Jeep. It’s when you start lifting, bigger tiring, heavy off roading that they get expensive.

4 poppers are for mall crawling. Barely enough power n stock form, and pitiful torque available below 2grand. Hp does nothing without available torque.

Bigger tires require brake and axle upgrades. As mentioned, expensive!

My 2 cents...
If you never intend on offroading/trail riding, don't bother getting a Rubicon.

If you intend on doing a lot of offroading and want to do a big lift and tires, don't bother getting a Rubicon. You can get the upgraded axle as an option on the sport.

Main advantage to Rubicon over sport is more rugged suspension and electronic sway bar disconnects. But.... If you are doing a lift, most of that is coming out anyway. So you just payed for a $6000 sticker on the hood and fancy stitching in the seats

if you want to get out on the trails but don't intend on majorly modding it, then I can see maybe getting a Rubicon.

Sport +$4000 in mods = more capable than Rubicon. And then you can spend the rest of what you saved on guns here on the ODT

Thoughts on the 2020 Jeep Gladiator truck??

https://www.jeep.com/gladiator.html

Screenshot_20181227-224311_Chrome.jpg

Back
Top Bottom