Just curious!

poppy926

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
11   0
Reaction score
I'm just curious if anyone cans their own for their SHTF supply? I have been considering home canning to have a better food supply. Then move into having a supply for my SHTF rainy day fund.

Home canning is the only way I store food. Ball/mason jars are great and can be reused for canning time after time or even for potable water containers in a pinch. Dry canning or hot pack, there is many different things you can do.

I have been looking into it a little, and I already have everything I need for water bath canning. Figured I would start with that and then get into pressure canning a little later(those thing a kinda pricey). I will have a friend give me a lesson just so I dont kill myself.LOL

LOL already been there, I found that one about a week ago. I also started following Ask Jackie @ backwoodhome.com. That lady has canned everything.

We've done everything from stews, soups and chowders to rice, beans, flour, meal, and even oranges. Do yourself a favor and don't concentrate too hard on one thing, Make sure you have plenty of options.

Also, look into pint jars as opposed to quarts for somethings. Portion control equals less waste and better longevity.

Oh ya I want to can as much myself as possible. I know with just being the 2 of us I figured I would probably can more in pints than quarts anyway, and in a SHTF type situation, James dont share food except for family.

I've been hot pack canning for years. It's fun, and I think it saves money if you have a big garden. I use the USDA canning website for recipes and when I need refreshing on how long to par boil certain things. Make sure you use sterilized jars, lids and seals, and that everything you touch is clean. Follow directions very carefully, and do not deviate. It's the acid that allows you to just use boiling and not a pressure canner. My favorite thing to can is pickled okra. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom