• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I know I am an old fudd, by today's definition...but I am curious...

JBWJr

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Retired. JAFO.
76   0
Reaction score
While there are many on this site that discuss and wear body armor for whatever personal reasons, and I applaud them in their endeavors. It is none of my business as to why they use/wear body armor and I accept that. But...why would a redneck civvy like myself, decide to purchase body armor, and should I?

In this age of Google It, I did just that and came upon the following article:

1704149893335.png

After reading the entire article, I am still a bit puzzled and added my questions/comments to some of the stated reason:

1 – Dangerous Neighborhood​

If you live in a dangerous neighborhood, you could be putting your life at risk every time you step out of your house. Someone may attempt to rob you while you are going to and from your car. It can be a great way to protect yourself and not have to worry about anyone knowing that you are wearing the body armor at all.
Seriously? To and from your car? I barely put on a coat to go out and if I am coming home, I doubt seriously I drove home all armored up.

2 – Taking Money to the Bank​

If you have a job that requires you to deposit money in the bank for a business, you want to be sure that you are safe and protected. The vests are lightweight so that you can easily move around while wearing it, but ensure that even if someone were to try to take the money from you that your chances of survival after a shot will be high.
Oh, that paints a pretty picture: "Man arrested while wearing body armor entering the !@#$% Bank today...

3 – Receiving Threats from an Ex​

When an ex feels as though they have been hurt, they may act out in a crazy way. The body armor will protect you, if he or she attempts to shoot you out of anger.
That creates an image of 24/7 armoring, doesn't it?

4 – Intruders Enter Your Home​

If an intruder breaks into your home, the body armor will protect you, if they attempt to shoot you. It will also help you to have the confidence that you need to be able to get to your phone and call the police.
As there has always been a fervent discussion of what firearm and whether to chamber a round always, I can just see me being abruptly wakened by my alarm system and spend 20 minutes jumping around to put on body armor. Film at 11. An additional thought for merit of the armor may be the crashing and breaking of thins, loud cursing may cause the intruders to flee...

5 – Work at a School​

If you work as an officer or even as a teacher at a school, body armor may be an investment you want to make. In the past, there have been many teachers that have been killed while on the job by individuals attacking the school. No students will be able to tell that you are wearing the vest during your workday.
This one I can see, but many liberal educators dislike the image of an armed gladiator in the school, already.
Old lady Johnson in 4th Grade Lit just doesn't make a great image, to me.

6 – Work at a Bank​

Working at a bank can be dangerous. The body armor is not illegal for you to wear to work and will not be detectable by a potential bank robber.
Again, vocational reasoning is easy to comprehend.

7 – Work Late at a Restaurant or Business​

The body armor can be essential when you are working late at night as that is when most robberies occur. The vest will better your chances of being able to make it through the ordeal.
That is another image that can't be unseen.

8 – Delivery Driver​

If you work as a delivery driver, body armor can help protect you, while you are making your deliveries. There are people who get desperate and may try to take the items that you are trying to deliver.
I'm not sure how'd I react to my pizza being delivered by Arnold S. in Commando gear.

9 – Courthouse Worker​

If you work at a courthouse, you may have to deal with people that are not happy with the sentences that they received. If someone decides to attack the courthouse, you will be glad that you invested in body armor.
Again, vocational threats require vocational precautions.

10 – Work at the Post Office​

The post office can be very stressful and there are times when someone may snap. When this happens, it can cause them to go on a rampage and wearing the body armor will increase your chances of walking out of the post office alive after a rampage occurs.
This conjures a whole new definition of Going Postal, in my mind...

Okay, I have said way too much and have probably inadvertently pi$$ed someone off, but I am curious if I am way off base and should just quietly into that good night, or there are others like me, with genuine questions.

Thanks.

E. Fudd

I was genuinely curious, as the only people I see wearing body armor, in our neck of the woods anyway, are law enforcement and some security folk.
I was just wondering where all the armor sales were going.
I had in the back of my mind some sort of paintball or other recreational sports. Just an old fudd, I guess.

I have a friend that he is into the air soft competition. He has so much money invested into guns, rifles, automatic rifles, clothing and helmets. They actually shoot each other. Sounds like fun, but it is expensive. I think one of his rifles was almost $3500…😳😳

Back
Top Bottom