• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Just out of curiosity and for those that have children 18yrs and older. What are their plans for a career?

Got one that's 19 in college. TN Promise is free school for associate's degree. Nice deal. She wants to transfer to Lee University for music after this. I told her she better make it count and be able to make money. Legal, moral, and sustainable living is what I told all my 3 kids.

My 2 boys are 14 and 16 and they both have expressed an interest in trade school.

I was 5 years Navy and 6 years Air Force. I have encouraged (in the past) military service for them all, but recently I have been kind of discouraging it.

Both of my kids are contributing members of society. My daughter is a partner in her company, and my son is the VP of his company.
Mama and I are very proud of them.
I really appreciate the way you worded that "contributing members of society", I tell mine all the time that if they are going to be successful/happy, they have to be a participant in their own life, and contribute to their own future...I believe that we would all be better off if we ALL focused on being "contributing members of society"...people seem to have forgotten that...

Great thread!

As the father of an 8 year old (as of yesterday) son, I am encouraged by all the success stories I just read. The most informative, for me, were the posts that included the parents approach to raising them to be what they have become...

My son has been in private school since he was 4, and is an all A student, but is completely bored and goofs off too much because he is bored. Even in private school they are having trouble finding ways to challenge him. He is so freaking smart. I realize he will grow out of his goofiness, but I don't want him to grow bored with study or reading, and I don't want him to grow up too fast. I am constantly telling him how hard it is out here in the real world and he needs every advantage to be a success. He listens and believes me, so I am confident he will be fine, even if he hits some hurdles. I am already making him deal with and learn from his mistakes, challenging him to think by asking, "what do you think you should do here?" I will not make it too easy for him...That's why he is also learning how to get dirty and work with his hands in the afternoons after I get home. He will know something about my trade (electrical) no matter what else he may persue in life. Having a trade to fall back on is a major plus, IMO, and if taught to never live above the means of a tradesman, no matter where he ends up, I believe he can do great. Just my long winded thoughts.

Keep 'em coming!

Great thread!

As the father of an 8 year old (as of yesterday) son, I am encouraged by all the success stories I just read. The most informative, for me, were the posts that included the parents approach to raising them to be what they have become...

My son has been in private school since he was 4, and is an all A student, but is completely bored and goofs off too much because he is bored. Even in private school they are having trouble finding ways to challenge him. He is so freaking smart. I realize he will grow out of his goofiness, but I don't want him to grow bored with study or reading, and I don't want him to grow up too fast. I am constantly telling him how hard it is out here in the real world and he needs every advantage to be a success. He listens and believes me, so I am confident he will be fine, even if he hits some hurdles. I am already making him deal with and learn from his mistakes, challenging him to think by asking, "what do you think you should do here?" I will not make it too easy for him...That's why he is also learning how to get dirty and work with his hands in the afternoons after I get home. He will know something about my trade (electrical) no matter what else he may persue in life. Having a trade to fall back on is a major plus, IMO, and if taught to never live above the means of a tradesman, no matter where he ends up, I believe he can do great. Just my long winded thoughts.

Keep 'em coming!
Its hard to live above the means of a true tradesman.. you don't have time or energy after working 16 hrs a day...

Back
Top Bottom