• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Just out of curiosity and for those that have children 18yrs and older. What are their plans for a career?

Damn i feel like a dummy after reading all this at 34

Alexander the Great conquered the known world by the time he was 30. I'm in my 30s and I still raid the fridge at my parents house looking for leftovers to take home.

Speaking of which, my mom made her homemade ham and bean soup yesterday. I've got my tupperware locked and loaded and I'm planning a heist for later this afternoon. What was that about being an independent adult again?

4 daughters
My oldest is 30 and put herself through college. She is a GS12 Economist for the government living on her own in Maryland.
My 21yr old hasn't quite got it figured out and won't follow advice even after asking for it.
My 19yr old lives with severe migraines but is off the charts smart, painter and taught herself piano at age 6.
My youngest is 18 and is looking to get into the Trident Refit Facility Apprenticeship program. They pay for 4yrs of college and trade school. Books and everything paid for as well as being paid $16hr while attending, paid days off and benefits.
They were all home schooled and very smart. My wife and I provided them advice and opportunities but its up to them to make their own decisions about what they want to do in life. Military, trade schools and apprenticeships are stepping stones for a good start to become something else if they choose to. I work with people that started as an Apprentice and are now General Foreman making 90000 a year. Others are happy working 8hrs and going home.

Damn i feel like a dummy after reading all this at 34

Don’t, grass is always greener argument. I’m an engineer and I meet tons of interesting people and I’m always like damn I should have done what they are doing. I feel dumb around doctors, computer guys, engineers in different fields, welders, electricians, the list goes on lol. Pretty much if you know something I don’t, I feel dumb around you.

My current boss is a chemical engineer. I just assume everyone was smarter than me. She’s the only one I’ve meet who doesn’t put up a front. I ask her a question and she’s like im 45, I haven’t been in college for 23 years, I don’t remember that. Most people try to BS you so they don’t look or sound dumb. It’s refreshing. Haha

On another note (if it's germane to this conversation), I have never given my kids an "allowance", rather reminding them I "allow" you to live the way you do, and try to provide you the best - better than I ever had. You won't get paid for breathing.

My 2 oldest work at Chik Fil A and bust their tails there. The 19 YO has been there almost 3 years and my 16 YO is working on a year. When we go to eat there the managers always ask the wife and I "when are we getting the last one" (14 YO). He is eager to start there as well. I let all 3 know that working there (or anywhere for that matter) is a good starting point. Nothing wrong with grinding it out while you're getting your feet on the ground as a young adult.

Its hard to live above the means of a true tradesman.. you don't have time or energy after working 16 hrs a day...
Yeah but if he becomes a CEO or something that pays way more than a $100k annual salary of a good tradesman, he will never see financial hardship, and will already be living off lesser means if he ever had to reinvent himself into a tradesman. Using myself as an example, I try to live like an entry level apprentice, even though I am not one. Same principle.

Yeah but if he becomes a CEO or something that pays way more than a $100k annual salary of a good tradesman, he will never see financial hardship, and will already be living off lesser means if he ever had to reinvent himself into a tradesman. Using myself as an example, I try to live like an entry level apprentice, even though I am not one. Same principle.
Right. I actually meant, a tradesman will usually always remember where they came from and how they got there keeping them humble.

What are your kids doing and what advice or options have you given them?
Join the military
College
Trade school
Youtuber
Apprenticeship to a trade
Mine tried four out of the five .
He might have tried being a YouTube’er and I just don’t know about it …

He scored well on the asvab and was heavily recruited my the military and wanted to be a pilot , but had issues with his eyes that knocked him out of that , and he wasn’t interested in anything except
Flying.

Then he got offered a sports scholarship at a college in new New England and did that but damaged his knee in practice before the season even started.
He finished out the first year and came back home .

Worked at an HVAC company doing service calls , but got tired of dealing with homeowners who thought their ancient Furnace or AC was gonna last forever and had never budgeted any money for its replacement.

Then he became a certified welder and did that for a year, and took the CDL class at the local community college, and got hired by a heavy haul company .
Fixing to be in his fourth year of hauling oversize overweight cargo , and loves it, on track soon to start hauling their 17 foot Wide cargo .

When you’re young you just gotta try different things and see what you like , and what fields you can earn a decent living .

He’d love to be a game warden but it would be a severe pay cut . Game warden salary is right at half of what he earns as a driver .

My oldest (34) is a elementary school teacher in Maine. Got her Master’s degree in childhood education and gets phenomenal reviews. Now, if I can just get her off the liberal bandwagon….

My son (34) is a 100% disabled veteran Marine. He completed Marine Mechanic school after his stint in the Corps and his time in Iraq. He’s married to a traveling RN and they‘re headed back to South Dakota for a short 5 month stint before traveling to MT, Wyoming, Colorado, and such. He buys and sells stocks while she works. Haven’t touched her salary in years, straight into their savings account.

My youngest (21) is a Junior at College. She’s majoring in History and Communications. Don’t know what she plans to do with those degrees, but she is currently working as a Professor’s Assistant, grading papers, tutoring students, etc Maybe she’ll be a teacher or college professor too.

My oldest (34) is a elementary school teacher in Maine. Got her Master’s degree in childhood education and gets phenomenal reviews. Now, if I can just get her off the liberal bandwagon….

My son (34) is a 100% disabled veteran Marine. He completed Marine Mechanic school after his stint in the Corps and his time in Iraq. He’s married to a traveling RN and they‘re headed back to South Dakota for a short 5 month stint before traveling to MT, Wyoming, Colorado, and such. He buys and sells stocks while she works. Haven’t touched her salary in years, straight into their savings account.

My youngest (21) is a Junior at College. She’s majoring in History and Communications. Don’t know what she plans to do with those degrees, but she is currently working as a Professor’s Assistant, grading papers, tutoring students, etc Maybe she’ll be a teacher or college professor too.
A History degree isn't worth much unless you plan to do something post-baccalaureate or teach, I should know, I have one. I got my degree from Berry 13 years ago, and I'm currently a Production Supervisor. Pay is decent, but I should have majored in something else.

My 13 year old wants to be a doctor, he's smart, but lazy. My 11 year old wants to do something in the military. He has said anything from train dogs to fly jets. My 7 year old daughter wants to be an art teacher and never get married. We'll see they all have sometime to figure it out.

Don’t, grass is always greener argument. I’m an engineer and I meet tons of interesting people and I’m always like damn I should have done what they are doing. I feel dumb around doctors, computer guys, engineers in different fields, welders, electricians, the list goes on lol. Pretty much if you know something I don’t, I feel dumb around you.

My current boss is a chemical engineer. I just assume everyone was smarter than me. She’s the only one I’ve meet who doesn’t put up a front. I ask her a question and she’s like im 45, I haven’t been in college for 23 years, I don’t remember that. Most people try to BS you so they don’t look or sound dumb. It’s refreshing. Haha
I do the same thing sometimes. Lol. I’m young, but am happy doing what I do and luckily have made a good living so far, but I got lucky learning the skills that I’ve got right out of highschool.

I like to learn as much as I can about every aspect of different jobs if I can just out of the sheer fact of having those skills too.

Back
Top Bottom