• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kayak advice needed...

250.JPG

gotta 15 river canoe
Jackson big tuna fishing kayak, I use alone now, cant trust the other in it with me, I swear they all have vertigo
Jackson riviera

all fit on my ladder rack from Harbor Freight

traveled the country with this rig, north to south east to west, Atlantic, Pacific, streams, rivers, ponds, lakes ect ect

I know you probably wont have this issue, but ill chime my two cents since I'm also in the market. I went looking for a kayak myself on Saturday. I'm a very large guy so I was super comcerned with the weight rating, but weight rating DOES NOT EQUAL STABILITY. I was 95% going to buy a Nucanoe Frontier 12, but found that Outside World Outfitters in Dawsonville had an indoor pool they will let you test a kayaks stability on. If you dont have much experience in kayaks, especially fishing ones it was suggested to me to try the boats before buying one and I'm very glad I did. Let's just say that very shortly after sitting on the nucanoe I learned that the pool was not heated. Though after a couple hours trying boats they had that might hold me and some gear, I found two kayaks a Jackson Big Rig and the Bonafide SS127, which have near 200lbs less in "weight capacity" to nucanoe to far superior boats stability wise.

I am having a hard time deciding on the two kayaks because they aren't cheap, but i like aspects of each, honestly leaning to the Bonafide, does anyone have any time on one of them on river? I see more of my time being on the Etowah or Chatahoochie with some time on Lanier/Allatoona.

Lastly, I would echo the recommendation to get a good paddle, you can tell a pretty big difference in hand (atleast I did) even for just a short period. I'm going to speed more than i wanted because seeing them in person there is a distinct quality improvement as you go up the ladder from the $500 to $1000 to $1500 ranges. I also want to have mine when RVing but i tow a fifth wheel so I'll have to truck top and then weight becomes a factor.

Back
Top Bottom