• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kayak Fishing Thread

Brand new to kayak fishing and just traded into an inflatable fishing kayak (Sevylor Colorado I believe) with one of my wife's colleagues. Has anyone used both inflatable and hard bottom and possibly explain some of the differences (pros/cons)? I've been looking at the Advanced Elements fisher pro model as a future option, but wanted to try this cheap one first before I sink too much $$ into them.

We've always taken our flat bottom and v-hull john boats out to Wyoming and Montana and always get funny looks from the folks in the McKenzie boats and heavy duty drift boats and rafts. I am taking the kayak out there, but probably won't drift with it until more comfortable due to river conditions and tracking issues I've read about. Leaving next week so any tips are welcome!

I kayak fish a good bit and have worn 2 holes in the bottom of my hard kayak. I would imagine an inflatable would be easier to wear a hole in. Then you have the treble hooks that sometimes end up in places you don't intend them to.

This afternoon today I will fish the lower Etowah. Put in at Hardin Bridge and take out at 411. Plan to put in around 1pm, anyone want to join me,will check post again in a few hours.

That's a fun float. My favorite part of the river is the Rock Garden. Caught a ton of fish there.

This Saturday at Burnt mill creek, PCB.
25 inch redfish

Attachments

• 3A538EDD-E74D-47C5-AA08-DC8857C1BA52.jpeg
    3A538EDD-E74D-47C5-AA08-DC8857C1BA52.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 42
I'm looking to buy a sit on top for fishing very soon, but I know next to nothing about them. Are the $300 ones at Academy any good? Do i need to buy anything other the kayak, a paddle, and a pfd? How easy is it to accidently flip one?

I'm looking to buy a sit on top for fishing very soon, but I know next to nothing about them. Are the $300 ones at Academy any good? Do i need to buy anything other the kayak, a paddle, and a pfd? How easy is it to accidently flip one?
It all depends on the boat you get. There are trade offs on almost everything. Very stable also means less maneuverable. Less money has a tendency to mean more weight and less versatile... or just cheap.

As for other things, what are you going to use it for? I've spent more on rigging and convenience than I did on the boat and it's not a cheap boat. The two most expensive items were a solar/GPS and a trailer. My boat is big and stable, so I can ocean fish when I want to and I take a lot of tackle most of the time. The trailer isn't necessary, but it sure makes life a lot easier.

Rod holders, anchor, drift sock, live bait system, etc... Again, what will you use it for?

I kayak fish out of a Pelican NXT 100. It’s a recreational kayak made in Canada . Cost me $150. I fish the crap out of it. Weighs 36lbs. Never flipped . Tracks well. Works for me.

Back
Top Bottom