• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Kel-Tec PF-9: Reliability Problems?

LR Max

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
5   0
Reaction score
So I've kinda had my heart set on a PF-9 for a while now. Hopefully will "pull the trigger" on one in January. Anywho I was at my local gun range/shop and asked if they sold Kel-Tec. The nice person behind the counter said no because Kel-Tecs were having reliability problems.

I just wanted to put feelers out there to find out if this was true. I kinda also got the feeling from the person that this might be a "convenient lie" to tell. Dunno, just made me think that.

Anyone else heard of this or is it a random rumor? I mean, I know every firearm has the potential to mechanically fail, especially when not maintained. But I haven't heard/read anything about Kel-Tec reliability issues.

Thanks guys!

The real problem kel tec has is supply and the gunshop owners I know are getting frustrated, especially the ones who have small established stores. They can't get priority with the distributors. My experience with kel tec is that if there is a problem with one of their weapons they work hard to get it rapidly remedied.

50/50 crap shoot. Some need some love, also if you or yours are limpy wristed forget it. I have one friend who loves his he spend some time doing fluffnbuff etc.. . others i know bought, shot, cussed*traded. Like most these lil pocket rockets YMMV

The finished product may contain rough spots and burs that might hinder or cause a potential malfunction. Most fire fine, a few may need a smoothing out that may be accomplished by just shooting it. I'd not willing take a new gun and carry it until it had sufficient ammo through it to insure reliability. Some may need a "fluff and buff" which is basically smoothing out the rough spots to enhance function. Some may require a trip back to the factory or a qualified Smith.

For what they are I found Keltec pistols to be acceptably reliable. It's just some may require a bit of finishing that is reasonably simple to perform. My good friend former LEO, picked up one new, sent it back for a "reliability" work then carried as back up to his primary sidearm.

With a clip draw they are a very versatile easy to conceal firearm. Bud's and CDNN have prices that I see used Keltecs being sold for. Check with them for details.

my wife had a hard chrome one, the extractor always gave her problems. It usually wouldnt make it through a mag without some malfunction. It did this with multiple shooters so It wasnt her limp wristing. We turned that pistol into a glock 26. YMMV but I wouldnt risk her well being to a pistol I didnt all out confidence in.

I had their 380 pocket and had FTFs. But I was/am a new shooter and may have limp wristed it. I traded it. Probably my fault - but I dunno for certain

it is a good pocket gun. But it will jam occasionally.
If your looking for reliability in a small 9 get the Walther PPS. check gun broker for your best pricing.

I have owned a few pistols from Kel-Tec in the past and can promise that I will not own another one! If my life depends on it, I will be spending my money on something that is reliable! I'm not saying every gun they make is junk but after trying 3 from them and all having serious reliability issues I'll pass.

Back
Top Bottom