• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Knowledge through the World Wide Web

I paid a locksmith $100 to change a commercial lock on a store front.... I watched him the entire time.

I now change my own locks and charge my customers $55 :victorious:

YouTube mechanic here as well, between the brake jobs, oil changes, and tune ups... I've probably saved well over $2k by doing it myself

I had the wiper switch go bad on my Dodge Hemi 4X4. Normally I would have thought to pull the steering wheel off to replace it..Went on YouTube and learned that you could change it with out all that work in 15 minutes..Called several repair shops and a dealer. All of the estimates were for multiple hrs of repair..Thank you YouTube!

I have learned so much from this site about research!! As I click on a thread about something or some item that I am not familiar with, It's a challenge to learn...I will copy and paste to google to learn more about a product...Or to see what is the average value, of said product being offered up for sale or trade..I love YouTube for those things that I need instruction on, or more knowledge with a specific topic that my knowledge falls short of..But when people post items that are 20% higher then what you can find on a web search...I just Giggle! This dog is turning in! Carry on!

Dinky, your post brought back a memory of the early internet. In 1987 I was in my first job out of college working at Ft Knox working as a site support engineer on a low res computer simulation to teach tank platoon leaders C3 skills with the (fairly new at the time) M1 Abrams and Bradley Fighting vehicles. Looking back, this simulator was about as primitive as could be by today's standards (lol). There was another simulation that was being developed by others in my company at the time that was far and away more advanced called SIMNET. Even though we were the "little brother", I thought it was the 2'nd coolest civilian job in the world (SIMNET being the pinnacle).

I remember working with a friend (who would later become my brother in law) establishing a 2400 baud connection between 2 Hayes modems (ground breaking for us - lol) to transfer some simulation code between Ft Knox and the home office in Ft Leavenworth, KS. We finally figured out the settings to connect and transferred files, and thought we had opened the door ground to some breaking technology. :)

The next day, a good friend and Sergeant who was relegated to office work after having a finger ripped off on a troop transport were talking and I explained the technological marvel we had pulled off the day before. He said, if you think that's cool, let me show you show you this. He connected to a DARPA server using the Hayes modem and we downloaded an unclassified document with characteristics of a Russian tank that we had already modeled in our simulation as the OPFOR. I thought, my God, with this there was no need for the Jane's manuals we had on location (other than the coolness factor of course). This is HUGE!

It was my first exposure to what would become the internet. If only I had realized the true importance of what would become so integral today to our every day lives, maybe I would be a rich SOB. I often wonder, how much more stupid us average Joe's would be be today without the internet. Of course, the case could be made that our nation (and world) would not be in the sorry shape we're in as well, but alas, technology marches on.

At the very least, double clicking on a gun model (or any product), right clicking, and selecting "search" if pretty sweet. It's saved my arse a ton of money and grief on many occasions.

If only there was a way to eliminate fake news :becky:

Back
Top Bottom