• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Last week of archery season

MAK

Hen of Fame Supporter
GGT Founder
58   0
Reaction score
I‘ve been jealously following the few posts on here of those of you who have been out hunting and getting some deer so far this year.
I wasn’t able to get up here to hunt until last weekend. First hunt of the season was Monday morning and I saw 4 doe, but they had come up behind me and were crossing over the ridge before I had turned around to see them. Not enough time to get turned around and lined up for a shot. Nothing seen the following morning.
Wednesday morning‘s hunt didn’t last long. Right at 8:00 I had one come out from over the ridge behind me again. (Looks like they may have changed their pattern from the past decade) By the time I got turned around and in position I had lost him. I was wrong about the direction he was going because he didn’t pop out in the opening I was aiming at, and instead caught me by surprise coming straight at me... Had to take the messy shot through the front. Went less than 20 yards down the hill toward my cabin. Not a big one but typical for what I see on our property here in the mountains.
Saw a few does again on Friday but had no clear shots And were at 60-80 yards. Nothing moved by me yesterday.
Looking like a wet week unfortunately, so not sure how much I will get out. I’m not near as dedicated as I was in my younger years when I couldn’t be picky about the weather.:becky:
455C5107-7833-449E-9082-863B820A9CFE.jpeg

I like crossbow hunting so much for so many reasons I usually hunt with it primarily all season although there have been a couple
Times I regretted taking it during rifle season.
One where I had a gigantic 10 point buck with a stark white, massive rack come up a ridge trail responding to a single doe bleat I made when the crazy wind broke for a second in Blue Ridge WMA.
He came in about 70 yards away and only moved when the wind blew and would lay down or cover his vitals in front of large trees when the wind stopped…amazing.
The second time a record sized black bear faced me and got on his hind legs and offered me the perfect shot…..again at an archery range I wasn’t comfortable taking up hill from me about 75 yards.
I vowed never to take archery equipment in the big woods again during rifle but for some reason I keep doing it.
I think because I just love the fact that it’s virtually silent and doesent scare everything away.
Several times I’ve been able to reload and kill another deer that just stuck around after I shot the first one.

I like crossbow hunting so much for so many reasons I usually hunt with it primarily all season although there have been a couple
Times I regretted taking it during rifle season.
One where I had a gigantic 10 point buck with a stark white, massive rack come up a ridge trail responding to a single doe bleat I made when the crazy wind broke for a second in Blue Ridge WMA.
He came in about 70 yards away and only moved when the wind blew and would lay down or cover his vitals in front of large trees when the wind stopped…amazing.
The second time a record sized black bear faced me and got on his hind legs and offered me the perfect shot…..again at an archery range I wasn’t comfortable taking up hill from me about 75 yards.
I vowed never to take archery equipment in the big woods again during rifle but for some reason I keep doing it.
I think because I just love the fact that it’s virtually silent and doesent scare everything away.
Several times I’ve been able to reload and kill another deer that just stuck around after I shot the first one.
Yeah, up here on my property I continue to carry my crossbow most of deer season if all I’m looking for is meat. I don’t have many shots beyond that range anyway due to the thick cover. I too have had those days where I regretted it and lost an opportunity for a nice buck, but rarely. I just don’t see many big bucks up around me to worry about it. Now when I go to south GA to hunt on my friends farm then it’s the rifle at every opportunity.

Back
Top Bottom