Laws about selling to FLA residence

Status
Not open for further replies.

gth813x

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
174   1
Reaction score
I work with a guy who is not a Georgia resident. He is from Florida but he also has a CCW permit. What do the laws say as far as me selling to him? Are they the same for both long guns and handguns?

My understanding is you have to be a resident of the state where the purchase is made -as seller or buyer. But I'm not 100% on that.

Permits matter not. Handgun sales to non-GA residents must go through an FFL in the buyers state. Long guns may be done here at a GA FFL. Bottom line, if it's going to a non-GA resident an FFL must be involved...

Permits matter not. Handgun sales to non-GA residents must go through an FFL in the buyers state. Long guns may be done here at a GA FFL. Bottom line, if it's going to a non-GA resident an FFL must be involved...
Absolutely correct, if it passes state lines it has to be transferred thru an ffl

Alas, the sad truth lies within...

While both are in the same state working,why not go to FFL. Sell to him for $20, & just tax on the $20. Or give to him as gift. Bottom line,No tax to be paid or at minimum,tax on $20 + the FFL fee of $20-$25. No shipping involved. Less than $30.

This type of transfer is basically pure profit for an FFL. As has already been mentioned, it would probably be best if both of you go to a local FFL.

All the FFL has to do is accept the gun from you and log it into his "bound books". Then the FFL has the new owner (your co-worker) complete a BATFE form 4473 and log the disposition of that transaction into his bound books as well. The entire transaction should take about 15-20 minutes and whatever the FFL charges to do this is 100% profit minus any costs for the NICS check/telephone call. If I were an FFL I would be happy to do this kind of transaction all day for $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom