LCP Max shooting low

Well, got out to the range and it shoots right where I expected. Good deal.

Now, the tough choice is whether I want to keep it. I bought this for my wife, but she has a lot of trouble racking the slide. For me, this category of pistol fills the "deep concealment" need, and the LCP II, being just a little bit smaller, has an edge there. I'd probably recommend the LCP Max over the LCP II for most people, but both are excellent. Might find one of mine for sale eventually.

Well, got out to the range and it shoots right where I expected. Good deal.

Now, the tough choice is whether I want to keep it. I bought this for my wife, but she has a lot of trouble racking the slide. For me, this category of pistol fills the "deep concealment" need, and the LCP II, being just a little bit smaller, has an edge there. I'd probably recommend the LCP Max over the LCP II for most people, but both are excellent. Might find one of mine for sale eventually.
So was it a bad barrel or something?

I agree that you have a right to expect that even a small deep concealment pistol will shoot closer to the point of aim than yours is.

I would test it with a few other types of ammo (good defensive ammo that you might like to carry), and if you document the same problem with at least three different popular brands, in common bullet weights (85 to 100 grain range)
I would tell Ruger you consider it "defective."

I had a Walther TPH that shot about 6" high at 10 feet. No one ever bragged about its sights.

I confirmed this by setting a Coke can at 10 feet and betting the local pistoleros they couldn't hit, I never had to pay off. Some of them would get mad, and fire off the whole mag at the same aim point, me knowing they didn't have a chance of hitting it.

I don't know why it was so far off, but there was no practical way to cure it.

Reactions: rgo
ORG….. looks like I am in the same boat as your Ruger Max 380. Bought brand new one few days ago , took it out to shoot this morning and I shot 4 brands and weights of ammo off a rest. At 7 yards I am 10 inches low unbelievable on every brand of ammo. All off the last 5 new guns I have bought all but 1 I had to send back to factory for multiple issues. I have worse luck. I wish I could just file front sight down but it has that illuminated front sight on it and cannot really be done. So I have to call get a shipping label and send it back. I have no idea how they will get it on target. 10 inches low is a lot. I hope they get it fixed and turned around to me. It’s my only carry gun. Marty

Hey ODT,

Wondering if anyone can help me with a Ruger LCP Max that is shooting very low - about 5" at 5 yards. Don't know how common this is, but there are a few other posts online with people having the same issue. First thing, I know the inclination will be to say that it's probably me - small gun, trigger control, etc. I promise it's not. I shoot an LCP II and several other micro .380s without any problem.

What can I do about it?

a) I can adjust my hold to put the front sight quite a bit higher than the rear. -- Yeah, this works, but it's annoying.
b) Don't worry about it. -- You could argue that accuracy in this gun doesn't matter too much, and you'd be right. But I think if it can be accurate, it should be accurate.
c) Shorten the front sight -- Not preferred because the front sight is tritium.
d) Taller rear sight -- Not aware of any replacement options. I've read the LCP Max uses the same dovetail as the S&W Bodyguard .380, but there aren't a lot of options there, either. Certainly haven't seen a suppressor height sight for the Bodyguard. Maybe there is a sight for another gun I could modify to work?
e) Maybe 3D print one? But then it's made of plastic, which isn't the most awesome thing in the world. Does anyone have the spec for the dovetail?
f) ?

Thanks for any help.
I have the exact same issue. I'm an advanced shooter and I adjusted my sight view higher but I shouldn't have to. It's an issue when I'm doing draw from holster shooting because my instincts kick in from using all of my other sidearms.

Back
Top Bottom