• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Leave hogs in woods on WMA?

I have lost more money in one night in crop damage, than most ppl make in a month, to hogs. I’ll kill everyone I see from piglets that are 2 lbs to 350 lb boars, and I don’t dress any of them. They are a pest plain and simple. Most feel no remorse for killing rats or cockroaches or a host of other things that are causing them harm or damage. Feral swine are no different. It’s impossible to remove 50% of the swine population each year, which is required to maintain a static population level. Hence the kill all you want, because you can’t hurt the overall population, and they are highly destructive to agriculture. Looks guys white tailed deer cause a lot of damage too. If they reproduced at an extremely high rate, like swine, they would most likely receive the same “no holds barred” treatment from our state wildlife agencies.
In conclusion. Don’t feel bad about removing as many as you possibly can from the landscape. You are doing all the other native wildlife a service not to mention Joe Farmer down the road.

The OP asked about the legality, not the ethics…I’ve yet to see one response on legality. The way I read the regulations, on private land you can do what you want because they are considered a non game animal. However, on public land they have seasons so they may be considered a game animal there. I would call the GW if you are really concerned. Me, I’m not eating one of those nasty bastards, but I will shoot it if I see it. And, no I’m not toting it out no matter where I shoot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The OP asked about the legality, not the ethics…I’ve yet to see one response on legality. The way I read the regulations, on private land you can do what you want because they are considered a non game animal. However, on public land they have seasons so they may be considered a game animal there. I would call the GW if you are really concerned. Me, I’m not eating one of those nasty bastards, but I will shoot it if I see it. And, no I’m not toting it out no matter where I shoot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boy you ain’t never in your life called a game warden. Then again, you ain’t never been concerned neither. :D

To each their own, but I don’t leave game animals behind when I kill them.
The last time I killed pigs on a WMA, it was a sounder of 8 pigs…..2 decent sized sows and 6 piglets. I field quartered and packed all of them out from 2 miles deep, all by myself. My days of dragging them out has long passed. Much easier to carry the deboned quarters out in a good quality pack.
62D1A609-48DF-4C42-94A2-37839D2910E5.jpeg

The last time I killed pigs on a WMA, it was a sounder of 8 pigs…..2 decent sized sows and 6 piglets. I field quartered and packed all of them out from 2 miles deep, all by myself. My days of dragging them out has long passed. Much easier to carry the deboned quarters out in a good quality pack. View attachment 5024083
good on you

I have seen it in South Carolina…after your freezers are full and needy places quit accepting them you have to do something.

The last time I killed pigs on a WMA, it was a sounder of 8 pigs…..2 decent sized sows and 6 piglets. I field quartered and packed all of them out from 2 miles deep, all by myself. My days of dragging them out has long passed. Much easier to carry the deboned quarters out in a good quality pack. View attachment 5024083
Ain’t nothing wrong with that at all but if you don’t want em, still shoot ‘em please. They ain’t suppose to be here. I kill kudzu and leave it where it lays as well. Privet, wisteria, tallow, …..

Back
Top Bottom