• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legal question about dog ownership

"Second choice, tell her in no uncertain terms that if her dog, she needs to come get it, or you will bring it to her, knowing that she is unlikely to do so. This course would establish that she has abandoned any interest in the dog."

With all due respect to the concerned poster, don't do this, even though she has no proof of ownership other than the vet bills she offered to pay (unconditionally I believe). Also, there is no guarantee that she will not take you up on your offer - then, where do you stand? Also, a lawyer (if it ever comes to that) will tell the court that your offer shows that you do not really have an interest in the dog, so you don't deserve any consideration regarding the dog's welfare.

Continue to care for the dog as you have been doing, including any vet bills that should arise. Lucy will continue to bond with you and this should become obvious to any interested parties.

"Second choice, tell her in no uncertain terms that if her dog, she needs to come get it, or you will bring it to her, knowing that she is unlikely to do so. This course would establish that she has abandoned any interest in the dog."

With all due respect to the concerned poster, don't do this, even though she has no proof of ownership other than the vet bills she offered to pay (unconditionally I believe). Also, there is no guarantee that she will not take you up on your offer - then, where do you stand? Also, a lawyer (if it ever comes to that) will tell the court that your offer shows that you do not really have an interest in the dog, so you don't deserve any consideration regarding the dog's welfare.

Continue to care for the dog as you have been doing, including any vet bills that should arise. Lucy will continue to bond with you and this should become obvious to any interested parties.

Thanks brother. Well said.

Went through something similar. Found a dog. Took the dog to the shelter. After a few days of no one claiming the dog, I was able to adopt said dog from the shelter. Shelter said under GA rules/laws, the dog was legally mine. Dog is a ****, but she is my **** <3

Back
Top Bottom