• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legal question about dog ownership

If I'm not wrong I believe the real owner has a limited amount of time after being notified to collect their dog. Your neighbor relinguished it to you so there's no issue. Your neighbor has 0 say in the dogs future, she's not the owner. By all intents and purposes you are the dogs owner
Thanks. I've been told that because she's chipped, I have to wait 14 days, but the owner's info comes back to someone out of state, disconnected phone number, and an address that does not exist.

If this woman cares about the dog, and you are a good owner, I dont see what the problem is. Just tell her that you plan on keeping her. Maybe she's not sure, or doesnt understand you want to keep the dog.

She does, we talked again last night for about an hour. She's mostly concerned about my new living situation. I'm moving in two weeks to a condo closer to Atlanta in a small high rise and I'll be on the 4th floor. Not ideal for a dog, but the caveat is that I'm very active. The dog will get tons of exercise with me, but I won't be able to simply open a door to a gated yard anymore, so that is something for me to really consider, but to me, that just means more exercise. Win/Win. Moving to be closer to work. The commute is killing me. She's also very liberal, so you all know how those convos go. I spend most of the time rolling my eyes and just talking in circles with this person.

There is no "rule" on who owns a dog, except maybe on a pedigreed dog that is registered with one of the national organizations. Ownership is fact specific, which is the origin of the phrase, "possession is 90% of the law", meaning that apparent facts tend to determine what is the "law".

You are spinning your wheels, looking for certainty where there is no certainty.

There is no button you can push that will "prove" you own the dog.

Most people would say that the person who shelters and feeds an animal owns it.

So you have basically 2, maybe 3 choices, and you need to choose which one you want to follow.

First, continue to shelter and feed the dog, take over any vet bills, get the dog inoculated showing you as the owner, and STFU talking about it. Clearly the two of you are not going to "work it out." If she brings it up, tell her you consider the matter settled, and let it drop.

Second choice, tell her in no uncertain terms that if her dog, she needs to come get it, or you will bring it to her, knowing that she is unlikely to do so. This course would establish that she has abandoned any interest in the dog.

Third choice, surrender the dog to a shelter, then apply through the shelter to adopt the dog.

There is no referee going to show up and flag anyone for "illegal procedure." You are going to have to take the initiative to resolve the matter.

There is no "rule" on who owns a dog, except maybe on a pedigreed dog that is registered with one of the national organizations. Ownership is fact specific, which is the origin of the phrase, "possession is 90% of the law", meaning that apparent facts tend to determine what is the "law".

You are spinning your wheels, looking for certainty where there is no certainty.

There is no button you can push that will "prove" you own the dog.

Most people would say that the person who shelters and feeds an animal owns it.

So you have basically 2, maybe 3 choices, and you need to choose which one you want to follow.

First, continue to shelter and feed the dog, take over any vet bills, get the dog inoculated showing you as the owner, and STFU talking about it. Clearly the two of you are not going to "work it out." If she brings it up, tell her you consider the matter settled, and let it drop.

Second choice, tell her in no uncertain terms that if her dog, she needs to come get it, or you will bring it to her, knowing that she is unlikely to do so. This course would establish that she has abandoned any interest in the dog.

Third choice, surrender the dog to a shelter, then apply through the shelter to adopt the dog.

There is no referee going to show up and flag anyone for "illegal procedure." You are going to have to take the initiative to resolve the matter.

Best response yet, thanks brother! This makes a lot of sense, I appreciate you.

Thank you all for your help and advice. It’s about time I showed y’all pics of this sweet girl. Meet Lucy! I cannot believe some peice of **** human abandoned her.

25E2B55D-AD70-4792-AC20-855BEBE5F181.jpeg
2EE858EC-80D9-4733-912B-81A7FA3473F3.jpeg
C32AC68B-0963-465B-919C-53DB0363D6C4.jpeg
C000F373-BBA8-43B0-94F5-982D1852489B.jpeg
6E615FBD-1380-44AA-BABB-7D409D8E4890.jpeg
6E83DAB5-384F-495B-847C-5FAA1F1C244F.jpeg
AA9DEA2E-9E8E-40DC-833F-94448DFAE238.jpeg
8F12E89B-D6C5-4FE9-8587-E11F9C56C2BD.jpeg
016A5810-558F-456F-A887-D335A0A67FEA.jpeg
2582EDA9-4F85-4062-92C2-7D05A374CA6F.jpeg
E6BF49B4-7A98-40ED-B07E-9C2DC1E68F64.jpeg
C9E29FCB-6AFB-4780-8092-1BB2ACAEC9EE.jpeg