• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Legal Questions? - Get An Answer Here

HeavyD,
Here is a hypothetical fact pattern and a stupid question or three.

Let's say I am at a park here in Georgia, parked in a parking space. I am eating lunch in my car. For some reason, someone sees my lunch as suspicious. The cops are called.
Can the cops search my car without a warrant? Must I self I.D. and provide a license and registration? Do I have to identify any weapons I have in the vehicle?
What would the correct response be to a cop trying to search my car without a warrant?

Thanks

HeavyD,

Let's say I am at a park here in Georgia, parked in a parking space. I am eating lunch in my car. For some reason, someone sees my lunch as suspicious. The cops are called.
Can the cops search my car without a warrant? Sure. They also can beat the crap out of you, or shoot you. Your question is too open ended to give a definitive answer. What about you was "suspicious." The broad general non-specific answer is that they should have a warrant. Must I self I.D. and provide a license and registration? Again it's like adult underwear, it's depends. If you are in control of a vehicle, you have to provide some evidence that you are authorized to be in the vehicle, then you have to provide proof that you are that person. Do I have to identify any weapons I have in the vehicle? in Georgia, you do not have to volunteer that you have any weapons in the vehicle. If the cop specifically asks you if you have any weapons, your life will be immeasurably easier if you answer truthfully. Can you refuse to answer, sure, have at it.
What would the correct response be to a cop trying to search my car without a warrant?Let him do his thing, and document everything. Almost all cops have at least voice recorders, so in addition to taking your own photos (along with everyone in the automobile) keep repeating that he does not have your permission to search your auto, and you do not consent to the search. At least you will make him put forth the effort to think of something he should arrest you for ([probably obstruction) so he can justify the search.

Thanks

And so it goes.

HeavyD,

Can the cops search my car without a warrant? Must I self I.D. and provide a license and registration? Do I have to identify any weapons I have in the vehicle?
What would the correct response be to a cop trying to search my car without a warrant?

Thanks
#tacticalsandwiches

I've got a question about a speeding citation I received today.

I was traveling through Asheville on 75 and was cited for going 87 in a 70. I was 100% not doing that speed. I was traveling exactly 70mph give or take 2 mph, driving especially careful as I had my nieces with me coming up from Florida.

I figured my speed using both my Speedo and my gps. I requested that we go confirm it's calibration as there was no way I was going that fast. He informed me that his captain was the one who clocked me and that he was using laser, which did not make mistakes.

It was strange all around. I was driving at the back of a pack of cars, when they all slammed on their brakes. I made sure I was obeying the speed, as the cars were plainly visible from a good distance, and confirmed using my instruments that I was ok. I was a good 400 yards away when the police car began pulling out. There was a car between me and the police cars, so I'm wondering if they may have nailed someone else and I got the blame? Or at that range, they may also have caught opposing traffic.

Regardless of how, do i stand a chance fighting this? He told me my speed qualified me for super speeder status. I know I wasn't in the wrong here, but does my word matter against 2 police officers stating that they used laser?

If you're still answering questions, then I have one-- may I change the list of questions in a Post Judgment Interrogatory, from the defined Gwinnett County questions? I need the judgment debtor's DOB and SSN for further garnishment and levy actions, and would like to add those questions to the usual list.

Thank you in advance.

If you're still answering questions, then I have one-- may I change the list of questions in a Post Judgment Interrogatory, from the defined Gwinnett County questions? I need the judgment debtor's DOB and SSN for further garnishment and levy actions, and would like to add those questions to the usual list.

Thank you in advance.

Yes.

Good luck though getting the defendant to give accurate, timely answers.

Back
Top Bottom