• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

LEO reaching in vehicle?

The Supreme Court decided back in the 20's that vehicles aren't treated as homes or persons when it comes to searches. Pat down, hands in pockets... That's a different story. Plain sight inside a motor vehicle he was permitted to seize it, and sometimes asking shows tact even if not required to ask.

If it happens again, just bite shiot out of him when he reaches in the window. Or just slow down and not get pulled for speeding.
I wasn't even driving. For those who say multiple violations, etc. etc. please keep in mind my boss USED to drive. It's two new people running the truck now. Boss doesn't ride with us. I appreciate everyone's input. I learned a few things from this thread.

I appreciate everyone's input. I learned a few things from this thread.

..and knowing is half the battle! :D
psa_copy.jpg

Rereading the OP, he said the officer reached in and took it. He didn't "grab" it or "snatch" it or "yank" it. He took it. And the OP came here looking for validation that the cop did something wrong. Traffic stops are one of the most dangerous and tense situations that most cops encounter due to all of the unknown factors which is like "no other facet of life". You may not agree, but if more people would simply try to put cops at ease on traffic stops instead of trying to play ****house lawyer there would be far fewer tickets written. I call your attention to the last lines of my prior post.

If it is so tense, why escalate it by reaching for something? Just ask. I always treat officers with respect when I'm stopped, keep hands on wheel in plain sight, and have documents ready for a quick interaction. I do tailor my words for my protection and I don't volunteer to give away my rights(like allowing a search). I haven't had a ticket in some time but have been graciously given a few warnings probably because I'm friendly and don't act mad or inconvenienced by it.

That said I have called cops out on their bull**** before. Once I was pulled over for "swerving and having my turn signal on" he claimed he detected the presence of alcohol, I hadn't drank at all and I hadn't had my turn signal on, he was just fishing for college students late at night. I told him i hadn't drank, he didn't detect, alcohol, and he was fishing. he didn't even bother to follow through and just ran my license for warrants. So in that case making his life "easier" was not sometihng I was going to do. Had he shown me respect he would have received it, just like a number of other officer interactions I've had that were pleasant.

Back
Top Bottom