• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lessons Learned 2015 Ram 1500 Hub Assembly Change

superprime

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
18   1
Reaction score
So, I was driving home from work the other night and the most god awful sound started coming from my front end. Just a horrible grinding noise, which sucked because I have a almost 80 mile commute and I was on mile 5 of it. It had all the tell tale signs of a bad wheel bearing, so I nursed it home and jumped on YouTube. Found a good video on how to change them and seemed doable in the time I had allotted, because I had to have my truck to get to work. Keep in mind my truck is a 2WD model, the videos were all for 4WD models, this is important I would come to find out.

Went to Harbor Freight because I needed a 36mm socket to remove the axle nut. I get home and start disassembling the front end.

Wheels off -check
Calipers and Caliper brackets - check
Rotor - check, pain in the ass to get off, but check
Axle Nut - HMMMM, where is the axle nut, or better yet where is the axle?

In my sleep deprived state I had forgot that 2WD pickups don't have CV axles so therefore no axle nut. I spend way too much time panicking about that.

Also didn't test which wheel was the bad one, so I had to do it twice (only one hub was bad). Could have sworn the noise was coming from the front drivers side. Nope, it was the passenger side.

Got it all back together and its running fine, and I didn't have to miss any work.

2015 model??? How many miles???

I just replaced one of mine on a Ram 3500 with 227,000 miles.
For future reference, while it is making noise, turn the wheel to the left, it is louder, it would be the right bearing. Same with turning right, louder, it is the left.
2wd is WAY easier than 4wd to change btw.

glad you figured it out.

2015 model??? How many miles???

I just replaced one of mine on a Ram 3500 with 227,000 miles.
For future reference, while it is making noise, turn the wheel to the left, it is louder, it would be the right bearing. Same with turning right, louder, it is the left.
2wd is WAY easier than 4wd to change btw.

glad you figured it out.

If I recall correctly all those bearings are sealed and supposedly packed with lithium grease. I’d bet that it wasn’t packed fully.

So, I was driving home from work the other night and the most god awful sound started coming from my front end. Just a horrible grinding noise, which sucked because I have a almost 80 mile commute and I was on mile 5 of it. It had all the tell tale signs of a bad wheel bearing, so I nursed it home and jumped on YouTube. Found a good video on how to change them and seemed doable in the time I had allotted, because I had to have my truck to get to work. Keep in mind my truck is a 2WD model, the videos were all for 4WD models, this is important I would come to find out.

Went to Harbor Freight because I needed a 36mm socket to remove the axle nut. I get home and start disassembling the front end.

Wheels off -check
Calipers and Caliper brackets - check
Rotor - check, pain in the ass to get off, but check
Axle Nut - HMMMM, where is the axle nut, or better yet where is the axle?

In my sleep deprived state I had forgot that 2WD pickups don't have CV axles so therefore no axle nut. I spend way too much time panicking about that.

Also didn't test which wheel was the bad one, so I had to do it twice (only one hub was bad). Could have sworn the noise was coming from the front drivers side. Nope, it was the passenger side.

Got it all back together and its running fine, and I didn't have to miss any work.
How many miles on your truck when this bearing failed? I have a 2015 1500 Quad just turned 14000 miles. Yes, that's a 14. ( NO problems with my truck. Just want to know when I might expect a problem) Best truck I ever had.

Wait, you had a bearing fail at 14,000 miles?????
anddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
this is why I am going with Ford or Chevy when I get a new truck. :(
NO< NO. My truck is fine with NO problems. Just want to know when I might expect a problem.

Back
Top Bottom