• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lessons Learned From Vegas

Odds of this happening to you are very, very small.

Live your life.

And carry. Always carry - just in case.

All things being equal you should be more concerned with your health/diet/exercise habits for a longer life.

I don't disagree with any of that. I am not sure many people on this site would. However, it is not bad to analyze and learn from such events. It has been said, "It is a wise man who can learn from the experiences of others".

These types of incidents are only going to get worse and happen more often right here on US soil is lesson 1.

Lesson 2 is if someone wants to kill innocent people they'll find a way to do it and if you're lucky enough to survive the initial ambush then you've got decisions to make depending on your skill level and preparation (help others, fight, GTFO of the area).

Lesson 3 is if someone is willing to give their life to take other's lives there is little to nothing you can do to defend against that. All you can do is be alert and be prepared to act when the time comes.

I'm not Alex Jones and not usually oriented towards conspiracy theories. All that being said none of this latest incident makes a damn bit of sense. If you take most of the high profile mass shootings/bombings/terrorist incidents since the early 90s there was always a timeline of events leading up to the incident. Ruby Ridge,Waco,OK City, San Bernardino, Columbine etc . They all had tell tale signs leading up to the act. Although in most of those cases too many people weren't paying attention to the signs.
This event had almost nothing to go on for motive or prior clues leading up to it. I read yesterday that the police agencies involved already took down the yellow tape and anyone could get into the house and contaminate whatever evidence might be left. There's definitely some **** in the game here. And the legacy news outlets in print and TV have already dropped it like it was burning their hands. Why is that? They went on and on about Sandy Hook, Charleston and Columbine for what seemed like months. Yet this one is already old news.Even the legit news sources I read like Breitbart and Drudge have gotten away from it.
If I learned anything here it was that the older I get the less I want to be near or in a big crowd of people. I still remember around 79/80 when something like 6 or 7 people got trampled to death just trying to get in an arena to see The Who. General Admission seating cost several people their lives. And that was just everyday human stupidity. So when you add deliberate violence and killing on top of that then it makes people in my age group not want to be involved in similar crowded events.

I'll admit that I don't have a lot to offer at this point, but thought I would get the ball rolling. Here are a few observations: 1) A pocket rocket may not solve the problem. 2) Sometimes evil is a chameleon. 3) Large crowds can be detrimental to your health. 4) One person can kill and wound an awful lot of innocent people.

Here are some additional thoughts: 1) Do you think ISIS got any ideas? 2) If a terrorist organization wanted to use this as a blueprint, how hard would it be to have coordinated attacks at a dozen venues at the same time in the same city or across different cities? 3) I am a veteran and a patriot, but if I were a terrorist calling the shots, I would already have the planning taking place. The law enforcement trying to prevent these incidents have a very difficult job, and also have my gratitude and respect. I sincerely hope I am wrong about all of that.

You can't stop someone who is willing to did for there so called " CAUSE", but the few you stop can save many lives. If, you know that you are in a bad situation in public, either fight back or take flight, I learned in the military you never know how someone is going to react in a situation, I have seen the toughest SOB, crack under a SCUD ATTACK. No, disrespect to these people everyone is different.

The guy could have done the same, or maybe worse, with a large truck. Drive down the street, jump the curb, and get on the accelerator. 22,000 packed onto one acre, easy to run down a lot of people.

Remember that we don't know how many were killed / injured by gunfire vs. How many were trampled in the panic.

Back
Top Bottom