• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Life Advice?

Believe it or not this is something I’ve looked into already. It all sounded very promising, however I was turned down by my recruiter due to the fact that I have ADHD.

Go to a different recruiter and DON'T tell them you have any issues. You're in perfect health. Never had a broke bone or even a cold. Your mind is strong.

Wake up tomorrow morning and go to the recruiter. Tomorrow is the first day of the rest of your life.

Quick update for everyone recommending going into the guard or any other service. I am literally not capable of doing this due to my ADHD. I’ve looked into it and was turned away by all recruiters.
Sounds like officer material to me.

Do some research on ADHD. It is not a provable condition like colorblindness or 20-20 vision.

If you say you have it, they believe you and move on. You were an adolescent male in a female run program. If you didn't act like the girls, there was something wrong with you, and the school system got federal money for every "adhd student" they identified.

First, figure out what personality type you are:
https://www.16personalities.com/

If you do this honestly, it will help you to understand your strong traits and weak traits and will recommend some career paths.

Secondly, do you have any hobbies? If so, it may be that your hobby could become a career. (For example, if you enjoy video games, there are people who play video games professionally, and also those who create them for a living. Fishing guide, etc.)

Another route would be to look at career fields that are always in demand and well paid. (Think medical careers like nursing, dental hygiene, physical therapy, etc or Information Technology, network admin, cyber security, electrical, HVAC, plumbing, etc) Learn a well paid trade and be able to enjoy your life outside of work.

What careers do your parents/family have? Anything that might interest you?

My grandparents were teachers, something I was never interested in due to the low compensation and thankless, time-demanding job it is much of the time. But they loved it.

My goal was to be a doctor, about halfway through my premed I realized that I didn't have the money/financial backing (and didn't want the loans for) another couple years of undergrad and then med school. I debated on pursing a career in IT as I enjoyed building computers and gaming, but also knew that I enjoyed helping others. So I changed directions (with my then fiance, now wife) and we both decided to get into nursing and work our way towards being an MD. Fast forward, we've both been nurses for nearly 10 years now, are enjoying it and advancing our careers/education in nursing while making good money and raising a family.

This may be obvious but have you talked to the counselors at your school? They are trained (or should be) in helping people find their way.

What do you like to do? Like working with your hands? As someone previously mentioned, learn a trade. Many kids go to college, get a degree in a field with little opportunity for employment. People going into the trades are doing very well.

Back
Top Bottom