• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lightweight build advice

Thank you bro if it had not been for the weight loss I wouldn’t have been able to do this for sure!
It really hasn't been that long ago that I worried about your health when hearing your breathing on your GoPro when you posted pistol shooting videos. Good on you for taking it off and keeping it off.

When Multi-Gun first became a thing, I had some customers who wanted ultra-light AR's. Of course the thought process was "lighter to run with; faster transitions from target-to-target". I built a couple that were in the 5# range unloaded. Carbon fiber handguards, pencil barrels, etc. No issues with reliability at all.

It was only a few matches in that the customers returned and wanted the rifles updated to be a bit heavier. Seems the gun never wanted to stabilize once the shooter got into a position.

We experimented around a bit and found that an 18-inch gun, weighing 8.5# and balanced at the magwell, seemed to be preferred set-up for those in this limited sample size. My personal gun is 9.5#, but I am a pretty big guy.

Of course, we're talking Multi-Gun here, not the "Run-and-Gun" 10k's with some shooting interspersed in. I can see where a little weight savings would be a big deal in that pursuit, but I agree with the others who say "reduce the weight of the kit, not the rifle".

I am building lightweight PCC's for competitors, but that's a different game. Either Steel Challenge, USPSA, or IDPA, where a "far" shot is 25 yards....

When Multi-Gun first became a thing, I had some customers who wanted ultra-light AR's. Of course the thought process was "lighter to run with; faster transitions from target-to-target". I built a couple that were in the 5# range unloaded. Carbon fiber handguards, pencil barrels, etc. No issues with reliability at all.

It was only a few matches in that the customers returned and wanted the rifles updated to be a bit heavier. Seems the gun never wanted to stabilize once the shooter got into a position.

We experimented around a bit and found that an 18-inch gun, weighing 8.5# and balanced at the magwell, seemed to be preferred set-up for those in this limited sample size. My personal gun is 9.5#, but I am a pretty big guy.

Of course, we're talking Multi-Gun here, not the "Run-and-Gun" 10k's with some shooting interspersed in. I can see where a little weight savings would be a big deal in that pursuit, but I agree with the others who say "reduce the weight of the kit, not the rifle".

I am building lightweight PCC's for competitors, but that's a different game. Either Steel Challenge, USPSA, or IDPA, where a "far" shot is 25 yards....
After shooting the match this past weekend I will say having the new light weight build was a big help over my heavy 3 gun rifle for sure

Back
Top Bottom