• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Lightweight build advice

I’m using the nx8 on my three gun rifle (18inch 9.6lbs) only problem is I went to shoot one stage at the proving grounds this past weekend and started shooting without hits then realized while slung the exposed turret got spun up like 5 mills lol
Wouldn't that suck in actual combat...

I would stay away from those polymer receivers. You're really not saving a whole lot of weight. Something about them just doesn't sit right with me. You can always dress out the upper and lower and gas block with titanium parts but that does get expensive. I've got a rifle a billet of chassis with titanium parts and it's pretty light even with the big scope. You can get the skeleton polymer hand grips, minimalist buttstock, a shorter handguard just long enough to go over the gas block, a short 1.5 inch compensator, I use the V5 gamma brake on my 14-7-in barrel and it just came out to be a tad over 16 inches. A Aero Precision lightweight cantilever mount, polymer backup sites in a smaller Red Dot sight and of course the lighter bolt carrier group like you mentioned. Those are just some of the things you might want to consider on a lightweight build.
Seems to me titanium is a lot of expense for minimal weight loss.

Seems to me titanium is a lot of expense for minimal weight loss.
It is but it is light. The billet chassis with the titanium parts really adds up to weight reduction. My rifle has a 18 inch fluted tapered barrel and it's still very light for what it is. I used a Mag release, bolt catch. Forward assist, take down pins, gas block, castle nut, backing plate, titanium firing pin, and just everything else that can be a titanium all those parts really add up in the end and it really reduced a lot of weight. And yes it was very expensive but anything that gives you an edge on an AR-15 is going to cost. Maybe not much is titanium parts but it's still an additional cost.

It is but it is light. The billet chassis with the titanium parts really adds up to weight reduction. My rifle has a 18 inch fluted tapered barrel and it's still very light for what it is. I uses. Mag release, bolt catch. Forward assist, take down pins, gas block, castle nut, backing plate, titanium firing pin, and just everything else that can be a titanium all those parts really add up in the end and it really reduced a lot of weight. And yes it was very expensive but anything that gives you an edge on an AR-15 is going to cost. Maybe not much is titanium parts but it's still an additional cost.
What is this ar "chassis" that you continue referencing? Do you call lower receivers a chassis?

One does not simple shoot or fire one of these. They are operated or run.

"In firearms, the chassis is a bedding frame on long guns such as rifles to replace the traditionally wooden stock, for the purpose of better accurizing the gun."

DA LAS-15 Chassis

1679841276551.png

1679841193414.png

1679841124104.png

What is this ar "chassis" that you continue referencing? Do you call lower receivers a chassis?
It just what I call a lower/upper/ handguard combo. Everything on the car is hung on a chassis so it's just slang for frame or receivers and handguard or whatever you want to call it. It's just easier to say chassis than spelling out all the parts individually. I heard an old timer gunsmith use it once and I just picked it up from him.

Back
Top Bottom