• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Lightweight build advice

I’ll have to bring my 2A rifle home and weigh it. It’s a mix of some lightweight parts and some not. It’s got a hanson barrel with pinned gas block and a standard microbest BCG. I didn’t like the idea of a lightweight BCG either. It’s still pretty damn light.

The only part on it I don’t quite trust as much as I should is the castle nut (nowhere to stake it). I’ve used the gun strictly for training with the intention of it failing. I leave it at the range and abuse the hell out of it because it’s an orphan and I don’t love it. I’m about 5000-6500 rounds in on it with no failures yet. I’ll let y’all know when I have one.

I’m using the nx8 on my three gun rifle (18inch 9.6lbs) only problem is I went to shoot one stage at the proving grounds this past weekend and started shooting without hits then realized while slung the exposed turret got spun up like 5 mills lol
Ouch.

Sounds like you just need to spend more time in the gym…

(Plus your wife (or boyfriend?) will be impressed too.)

Thread closed.
9C53009C-27F3-45C1-AF33-12EFECAFC192.jpeg

Have one of these. Seems to work fine. I'm not an operator or anything...

15A58M16NPQ-IMDB-001__05828.1676036028.jpg

Has the integrated muzzle brake to piss off the other shooters around you.
They also offer it with flash hider for non-dick builders. :boink:

5 pounds 10.5 ounce empty as pictured Kentucky rifle with a pinned faxon pencil barrel, minimalist stock, alg rail, no lightweight parts. And a little bottle of lube in the grip.

Attachments

• 22976DA1-BF1C-48B1-AF1B-0F21FC5668F9.jpeg
    22976DA1-BF1C-48B1-AF1B-0F21FC5668F9.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 27
My 3 gun rifle is pushing 12 damn pounds. Switching to a suppressed rattler (not light) saved me like 5 pounds.

Decent basic old school ARs were in the 6 pound range. It wasn’t until the GWOT and people adding rails and beefing up parts that didn’t “need” to be more tough did we double the weight.

Skip magnesium upper and lowers. Build a light upper from used parts and see if you like it.

While light guns are much better to actually run with, mass certainly helps stability and staying on target. I can literally double tap at 200 yards and both shots are almost touching. Can’t do that with a featherweight.

Definitely going to go 14.5 with welded comp not sure I want to go with a polymer lower
I would stay away from those polymer receivers. You're really not saving a whole lot of weight. Something about them just doesn't sit right with me. You can always dress out the upper and lower and gas block with titanium parts but that does get expensive. I've got a rifle a billet of chassis with titanium parts and it's pretty light even with the big scope. You can get the skeleton polymer hand grips, minimalist buttstock, a shorter handguard just long enough to go over the gas block, a short 1.5 inch compensator, I use the V5 gamma brake on my 14-7-in barrel and it just came out to be a tad over 16 inches. A Aero Precision lightweight cantilever mount, polymer backup sites in a smaller Red Dot sight and of course the lighter bolt carrier group like you mentioned. Those are just some of the things you might want to consider on a lightweight build.

Back
Top Bottom