• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Literally a NEW M1 GARAND.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I pulled her out of the safe tonight to give 'er the once-over. When I handled her I heard a metallic sound inside. I'm like, oh great, something's broken. No surprise I didn't hear it at the range with the ear pro and all.

Except when I open the bolt and look inside I find a metal disintegrating belt link. Huh?

Later in the day of the shoot some folks were shooting next to us on the firing line and they had a belt-fed AR. Somehow one of the disintegrating links had gotten inside my baby. Ok - so that explain why I couldn't load her at the end of the day.

So I pulled 'er apart. Had to use a punch and hammer to remove the follower arm pin. I thought that was odd 'cause my other Garands they just push out without a lot of drama. Gave her a good scrubbin' and greased 'er up and started putting her back together. Turns out the bullet guide was the culprit for the binding. Removed a skosh of material where it meets the receiver and the pin went in MUCH easier. I guess it was out of spec by /this/ much. Tolerance stacking maybe?

Fingers crossed that was the culprit. Everything else seemed to be in good order.

Man, I love Garands and my boys enjoy shooting them, too! It just goes where you point it! Granted, the gongs at the range were big but blasting away with it is just so much FUN!

I wish I had joined CMP back when I was a young man!

And I am building one from the ground up to give alleycat alleycat a good run for the money LOL.
New Barrel is on order and will be installed Next week so in keeping with the Original Post here I am building a New-ISH M1-Garand.
And 10thmountain 10thmountain That is one beautiful Rifle Sir.
1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

sounds as though rifle is short stroking, bullet guide and clip latch spring has nothing to do with it.
It can be caused by a number of things but the op rod spring needs changed as:
Wolffe springs are a problem, they are extra power and can cause short stroking. Springs from Orion 7 or Garand Gear are recommended
weak ammo, (what ammo are you using?)
properly grease rifle, when received from CMP rifle should be completely disassembled, cleaned then greased in proper locations
gas screw not tight
Gas screw cracked
out of spec gas cylinder
out of spec op rod piston

HXP ammo was used...it did the same malfunction with the recoil spring that I got from CMP. But less so when I replaced the recoil spring with the Wolff spring. Only happened again with my 13 year-old shooters. Limp shouldering?

Gas screw was probably over-tight. And rifle was properly cleaned and greased after getting from CMP. Not my first Garand.

No cracks in the gas screw.

How do you know if you're gas cylinder is out of spec?

Any guidance to know if your op rod piston is out of spec? She looks true but I'm no expert.

The REALLY weird thing is that it happens on the first round and rounds 2-7 run like a champ.

Seriously, what's going on???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom