• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Literally a NEW M1 GARAND.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a shooter Garand that I got at an ODT swap meet. Didnt know a thing about Garands and got a gun that looked to be basically new...very high serial number. I dont think the last owner fired her at all. She shoots like a dream. I think I traded for her for something I had valued at $500, cant remember, but I was reluctant to do it....

I pulled her out of the safe this week to show a buddy and got my very first Garand thumb... ouch! hahah.

Hayata's shot her.

Sorry to hear your Garand is giving you trouble, Hayata, but now I know who to help me with mine if I ever need it:)

HXP ammo was used...it did the same malfunction with the recoil spring that I got from CMP. But less so when I replaced the recoil spring with the Wolff spring. Only happened again with my 13 year-old shooters. Limp shouldering?

Gas screw was probably over-tight. And rifle was properly cleaned and greased after getting from CMP. Not my first Garand.

No cracks in the gas screw.

How do you know if you're gas cylinder is out of spec?

Any guidance to know if your op rod piston is out of spec? She looks true but I'm no expert.
Are you shooting of a bench with the front handguard on a rest? The front handguard is open on the bottom and the op rod will drag on the bag and can cause issues
The op rod spring that came from CMP was used and you replaced it with one from Wolffe which is extra power and can cause issues. You say the rifle fires better after the first rd? As the enblocs empties there is less pressure from the spring pushing up on the enbloc so rifle may function.
Its going to be hard to diagnose function issues until you have a spring that is known to not sometimes cause issues
You are not greasing or oiling the end of op rod or interior of the gas cylinder are you?
Only way to check gas cylinder is with a ordnance type gage. PIN gages are worthless IMO. Op Rod pistion diameter can be measured with a micrometer, calipers arent acccurate enough
I still suspect the spring

Firing from the standing position. After having to manually charge the weapon and load the second round the rifle runs as normal. Only fails to chamber after the first round.

And the new spring actually improved the function from when it was repeatable at the CMP but random on Saturday.

I'm hoping the adjustment to the bullet guide so the follower arm pin doesn't bind will cure it but I'm not holding out much hope.

Is limp-shouldering a thing? Gotta teach my boys to lean into 'er a little more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom