• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Loads: 147 GR 9mm Luger

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
Can someone provide some nice accurate loads for 147 Truncated Cone FMJ 9mm Luger?

Specifics would be nice, as I don't (ever) see them on this site!
For example:

My favorite 124 Gr RN Plated / Jacketed load is 4.3-4.4 Grains of Universal, 1.142 OAL, Crimped at .378
This is like a target load that seems to find the middle of the X-Ring in every 9mm Luger pistol that I own!

Last edited:
I don't recall the exact load but Accurate #2 and #5 are two powders I've used with Precision Delta's 147gr FP. I can tell you I used the load data from Accurate's site. With #5 you can most likely get away with the minimum load (or a little less) if you're using lighter springs. With #2 you may want to start near the middle because a light load with that will definitely causes feeding issues.

Never had accuracy issues with them out of many M&Ps and a P30.

I like TiteGroup in the 9mm. Accurate a clean with about any load. I have not fired any 147's, but I have run through several thousand 158 lead round nose bullets, and they were very accurate. There is quite an awakening with the longer barrel. The G-17L data was collected while using a StormLake Barrel. These loads would likely work with a 147FMJ. The magnum primers where used only because standards were out of stock everywhere a few years ago.

These were my MAX LOAD - Use at your own risk:

Sig P-6 158 LRN Tite Group 3.00grains with Fed Mag Primer Velocity>869
G-17L 158 LRN Tite Group 3.00grains with Fed Mag Primer Velocity>935
Camp 9 158 LRN Tite Group 3.00grains with Fed Mag Primer Velocity>1025

Last edited:
I put off a reply due to not using FMJ but have used lead cast 147 grain bullets. So FWIW here are my findings.

I have only used 147 grain truncated lead cast but also used AA#2 and AA#5. Both meter great, are economical and are acceptably clean. I use the lower end of the scale for sub-sonic rounds intended for suppressed use. The AA#2 is a faster powder and in all steel guns I have not seen function issues but with polymer frame guns I have found function issues for some who have shot my reloads but not all. Reliability worsens with AA#2 with lower power loads and lighter bullet weights in my work with the powder but it is extremely economical and not to be dismissed for 9mm loadings. I would not use it for 115 grain bullets for shooting through polymer pistols.

The AA#2 and 147 grain bullets beat the heck out of my brass when shot suppressed. AA#5 with 147 grain bullets work fine suppressed and in my polymer frame pistols. The long heavy 147 grain bullets make compressing a load much more likely and I use great care to avoid compressing charges as it will dramatically increase pressure.

My current 147 grain loading is with a truncated lead cast Missouri bullet over 4.6 grains of AA#5 with an OAL not less than 1.13". That should put it somewhere around 870 FPS. It is very accurate but the lube and cast lead caks up the suppressor faster than FMJ's but that is an issue with shooting lead cast and not the powder used.

I hope this helps.

The loads I use in 9's with 147's are heavier defensive loads. I don't own anything but defensive pistols chambered in 9.

I have used some 147 .355's for lighter target use, but only in the .38 Super. The Universal powder is tough to beat in most of
my target apps.

The loads I use in 9's with 147's are heavier defensive loads. I don't own anything but defensive pistols chambered in 9.

I have used some 147 .355's for lighter target use, but only in the .38 Super. The Universal powder is tough to beat in most of
my target apps.

Mind sharing some specific loads / OAL's etc?

I (and everyone else) should understand the standard disclaimer on any load shown on this (or any other site):
The publisher of ANY loading information assumes no liability for the performance or safety of loading information!
NEVER use a load unless you can cross-reference it to several other different sources, preferrably to published manufacturer's
recommended loads. NEVER start with a load that exceeds manufacturer's published maximum ...
If you wish to "work up" and use loads beyond manufacturer's published maximums, you do so at HIGH RISK of damage to
your weapon, injury to yourself (including death) as well as innocent bystanders !

147gr fmj rn 3.3gr vit320 @1.150, might want to add a few tenths to this cause it is light. Dont know whats eating it but some folks have had issues wiht 1.150 in a glock 9mm due to mag depth front to rear, i have not but you could back it up to 1.130 and not compress. Also can go as low as 3.0grs and still make the 125pf (if you know what im talking about)......I only crimp this load for this pistol (G34)enough to straighten the case. Feel free to pm me if you would like. ME shooting this load is on YOUTUBE, pm for details.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom