• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Loads: 147 GR 9mm Luger

I don't have any data for you on SOLO 1000 powder with a 147, but a lot of the guys I shoot with love Solo1000. I have used it for the 115 and 125 grain bullets. It is very clean. Although, there are a few things that I don't like about it:

1 -- it is not consistent from lot to lot. So, you have to go back to the Chronograph every time you buy powder. So, I buy 8 pound jugs.
2-- it is hard to make the velocity I want with light bullets. I can do it, but the load is compressed.
3-- accurate load data is not available. None of the fellows I know using it for IPSC can get the velocity they want without going well above the charted max load. It appears that the DATA is incorrectly optimistic.
4-- there is a definite increase in the powder's power with a decrease in outside temperature. So, your load might have to change with the weather.

Example: I shoot a 5 inch 1911 and my 9mm load for steel plates is a 125FMJ loaded with 4.1 Solo1000. The max load in the manufacturer's data is 3.5 grains and should produce about 1000+/- 25 FPS. I don't get that velocity with 4.1 grains. I have to go all the way to 4.4 grains to consistently get over 1000 FPS. And, by the way, with no signs of over pressure.

Most people will agree that it is dangerous too exceed the published data, and I too, agree -- it is. In this case, however, we have a large community of shooters all using this stuff and all getting good results with our own data. This powder has become very popular within the IPSC crowd because it is so clean and is incredibly soft shooting at a given velocity.

If you try it, start with the factory data and then ....

Waxed lead bullets loaded with a good crimp get closer to the factory data's numbers.

That ends my rant ---

I'll look, I assumed from your OP that you were looking for "nice" target type loads for the 9?

Seems AA #7 was most used, but I believe I may have had good results using Longshot too.

Clarke123, all the loads on Handloads.com site are loads worked by "guests" and published for you folks.

I have done my research on Brian Enos's forum. 99% of the posters are addicted competitors and you can derive favorite loads by reading the posts. 'Course, you have access to that site also. Was the exclamation mark intentional?

I'm sorry, I don't seem to have loaded anything other than 147 grain XTP's in the 9mm.

I'll share that load. Winchester brass, WSP primers, 7.0 grains of Accurate #7, loaded @ 1.100 oal.

The truncated cone will negate the length. I don't expand my case mouth any more than's necessary
to start my round. I lightly crimp just enough to bring the case mouth in full contact with the projectile.

Sorry about the confusion? I have no idea where I came up with this data, but I have a five star rating
for it? All the usual, "Loader Beware!"

Clarke123, all the loads on Handloads.com site are loads worked by "guests" and published for you folks.

I have done my research on Brian Enos's forum. 99% of the posters are addicted competitors and you can derive favorite loads by reading the posts. 'Course, you have access to that site also. Was the exclamation mark intentional?

No offense intended ... I have used both sites extensively, but was not satisfied with the quantitiy (number of different loads) or powders shown for 147 GR loads.

On the other hand, I am very pleased with the response gotten here on ODT!

Probably will not use the SOLO 1000 loading because of the stated inconsistencies of the batches (TOO Great of a swing in charges!)

Of all the research on different powders to use in my G34, I found that a majority of competition shooters use Clays. All the experienced shooters go by the "slow powders/big bullets" mantra. I worked upa load with American Select. Slower than Clays and I use it for my revolvers, shotgun, and rifle in cowboy.

I belong to a range owned by a 5 gun Grandmaster in IDPA. He uses Clays in his 9MM with 147s.

Of all the research on different powders to use in my G34, I found that a majority of competition shooters use Clays. All the experienced shooters go by the "slow powders/big bullets" mantra. I worked upa load with American Select. Slower than Clays and I use it for my revolvers, shotgun, and rifle in cowboy.

I belong to a range owned by a 5 gun Grandmaster in IDPA. He uses Clays in his 9MM with 147s.

Hmmm ... CLAYS or UNIVERSAL ?

I ask because CLAYS (which is right next to Red Dot) is quite a bit faster than UNIVERSAL (which is a tad slower than Unique).
I use UNIVERSAL in a number of .40 S&W as well as 9mm loads and really like it, but CLAYS / Red Dot / Bullseys
I avoid because they are HOT and don't meter well enough for me to use in a powder measure (IF I use them, I "scoop & weigh" those hot ones!)
I know that this sounds paranoid ... but then I don't use VARGET either (because it meters so poorly!!!)

I'm sorry, I don't seem to have loaded anything other than 147 grain XTP's in the 9mm.

I'll share that load. Winchester brass, WSP primers, 7.0 grains of Accurate #7, loaded @ 1.100 oal.

The truncated cone will negate the length. I don't expand my case mouth any more than's necessary
to start my round. I lightly crimp just enough to bring the case mouth in full contact with the projectile.

Sorry about the confusion? I have no idea where I came up with this data, but I have a five star rating
for it? All the usual, "Loader Beware!"

With LONGSHOT and ACCURATE immediately adjacent to one another on the Burn Chart, the results should be similiar.
They are both slower than UNIVERSAL.

How do they meter?

I agree with your comparison. I suppose those on the Enos site consider Red Dot and American Select as a shotgun powder. Imagine that. I do not have extensive experience with the 9MM and 147s. I have experimented with Americaan Select and have had decent results. Nothing to compare. I think that almost any powder from Clays down to the tried and true Unique would work. After reading the great number of posts reccommending the slow powders such as Clays and WST, I'm thinking have you tried Unique?

As to the metering, I use a 650 with a fish tank aerator taped to the powder dispenser. Works wonders in settling the powder and does not allow the powder to bridge.

Last edited:
With LONGSHOT and ACCURATE immediately adjacent to one another on the Burn Chart, the results should be similiar.
They are both slower than UNIVERSAL.

How do they meter?

AA#7 meters sweet in my Dillon! AA#2, 5 and 9 meter just as well.

I use AA#7 for 124 grain FMJ loadings but not for 147 grain loads. I'm not sure why? AA#7 is not as economical but is considered the "better" AA powder for 9mm. If I was shooting competition I'd use AA#7 but for cost efficient plinking AA#5 or AA#2 depending on intent are fine for me.

Longshot?

Back
Top Bottom