• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long range beauty

gotcha, great shooting on a .308 at that distance.

I almost bought a Lapua but then decided to stay with "ol faithful" .308

All the 308s I've owned have been okay at distance. (500 yards - 1000 yards)
Remington sps tactical w/ b & c stock
Savage 10bas
Custom T/C action kregier barrel w/ xlr chassis built by rws..

Most people become limited when it comes to the 308 for multiple reasons
1) Ammo
2) scope/base/rings not properly torqued or capable of shooting that distance like not having a 20moa base and your scope not having enough internal adjustment.
3) Basic fundamentals (trigger squeeze, sight pictures, breathing yada yada) it may not show at 100 yards but the slightest hiccup will show the farther you go
of course there's more but I'm far from even a good shot and those are just a few of the things i've noticed.

Around Savannah there aren't enough places to satisfy the needs of a 338... Otherwise I might have bitten the bullet and bought one. I will be building a 300wm for the purpose of shooting 800 yards and beyond.

so anyways today I went back out to the power lines with the intention of shooting to 1000 yards. My buddy Mark and I decided that we were going to re-dope our rifles starting by confirming zero.. No problem. Well of course the gap was **** hot again today. We finally made it to 500 yards (picture shown below) first four rounds to the left stacked perfectly. I said what the hell dialed my windage and placed 3 more rounds dead center on the plate. We went down range spray painted the steel and drove back, now it was time for mark to confirm dope at 500 yards while I spotted. He ran into some issues and kept hitting low. He has a Mil/Moa scope I have a Mil/Mil FFP scope and I've never learned MOA so he was on his own doing math for a adjustment. He finally got it by taking my dope in mils and converting it to moa then he was on track.. (So back track to this morning when Mark picked me up, he had two of those shock wave exploding targets.. I've seen these on youtube but never saw one in person.) Before moving to 600 yards to confirm dope Mark wanted to try one of the said exploding targets I said what the hell and didn't expect much to come of it... boy, was I wronger than two boys in a church kissing. He mixed up the beads with the powder and placed the shock wave thing at 100 yards and fired. BOOOOOOM I almost **** my pants I was not expecting the explosion that happened. Since were we shoot isn't actually a "range" we decided it would be best to beat feet to Hooters to laugh about it and have a beer. Anyways thanks for listening to rant happy shooting fellas and take care.
i39.tinypic.com_xu2as.jpg

All the 308s I've owned have been okay at distance. (500 yards - 1000 yards)
Remington sps tactical w/ b & c stock
Savage 10bas
Custom T/C action kregier barrel w/ xlr chassis built by rws..

Most people become limited when it comes to the 308 for multiple reasons
1) Ammo
2) scope/base/rings not properly torqued or capable of shooting that distance like not having a 20moa base and your scope not having enough internal adjustment.
3) Basic fundamentals (trigger squeeze, sight pictures, breathing yada yada) it may not show at 100 yards but the slightest hiccup will show the farther you go
of course there's more but I'm far from even a good shot and those are just a few of the things i've noticed.

Around Savannah there aren't enough places to satisfy the needs of a 338... Otherwise I might have bitten the bullet and bought one. I will be building a 300wm for the purpose of shooting 800 yards and beyond.

so anyways today I went back out to the power lines with the intention of shooting to 1000 yards. My buddy Mark and I decided that we were going to re-dope our rifles starting by confirming zero.. No problem. Well of course the gap was **** hot again today. We finally made it to 500 yards (picture shown below) first four rounds to the left stacked perfectly. I said what the hell dialed my windage and placed 3 more rounds dead center on the plate. We went down range spray painted the steel and drove back, now it was time for mark to confirm dope at 500 yards while I spotted. He ran into some issues and kept hitting low. He has a Mil/Moa scope I have a Mil/Mil FFP scope and I've never learned MOA so he was on his own doing math for a adjustment. He finally got it by taking my dope in mils and converting it to moa then he was on track.. (So back track to this morning when Mark picked me up, he had two of those shock wave exploding targets.. I've seen these on youtube but never saw one in person.) Before moving to 600 yards to confirm dope Mark wanted to try one of the said exploding targets I said what the hell and didn't expect much to come of it... boy, was I wronger than two boys in a church kissing. He mixed up the beads with the powder and placed the shock wave thing at 100 yards and fired. BOOOOOOM I almost **** my pants I was not expecting the explosion that happened. Since were we shoot isn't actually a "range" we decided it would be best to beat feet to Hooters to laugh about it and have a beer. Anyways thanks for listening to rant happy shooting fellas and take care.
i39.tinypic.com_xu2as.jpg

that is so wrong, but so funny

Back
Top Bottom