• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Long range hunting vid

SOLGardener

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
57   0
Reaction score
I saw this on SH, and thought it migth be of interest to some. for those that might disagree with shooting past a couple hundred yards, save it. Some people are capable of longer than this. Also, note the calibers and the effects.

Check out the trace in the slo mo on the first shot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have seen many of these vids some awesome shooting indeed, but to call it hunting is a stretch, more like sniping..lol

That's a good way to avoid learning how to hunt.

I can see the point you're both making, but with the antelope and pronghorn of the Western US, many times these animals don't allow you to get closer than 300-500 yards. I would think that these animals will begin to pattern you so that they BOLT at first sight of a human, so you would eventually have to start making long shots in order to kill them.

That being said, I think part of the "Hunt" is to get close for the shot... this comment from a bow hunter, so... that and 50 cents will buy you a cup of coffee

Yeah not my cup of tea but by the same token I'm not in the camp of "anything over 200 yards is too far" either. If you and your equipment are capable and you've practiced it, great. BUT.... they aren't targets, they are game animals. I do treat the two differently.

Takes skill and planning to make shots that long. Not really my idea of hunting either. Also, I don't think my ammo is recommended for 200 yd shots on whitetails. 7.62x39 in AR15 in case you are wondering. BTW, only way we could even see 200 yards is to look down the lake.

I don't really call that hunting but I'd sure as he'll like to be able to shoot like that! Great shots on a smaller animal. I'd give it a try if it were offered up to me. Cool video.

Back
Top Bottom