• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long term affects of shooting.223 in a 5.56?

There are a bunch of "deals" out there on reloading presses. I would recommend getting a Lee kit, which costs about $150 for a basic single stage press and other items needed to get started. There are a lot of Lee haters out there but I have been using the same one since about 1972. For about a total of $250 you can be loading one caliber. That is the low end of initial start up.

I also have a Dillon progressive press with manual indexing (RL 550 B). Now you are talking the high end of initial startup with about $600 spent!!

There are a bunch of "deals" out there on reloading presses. I would recommend getting a Lee kit, which costs about $150 for a basic single stage press and other items needed to get started. There are a lot of Lee haters out there but I have been using the same one since about 1972. For about a total of $250 you can be loading one caliber. That is the low end of initial start up.

I also have a Dillon progressive press with manual indexing (RL 550 B). Now you are talking the high end of initial startup with about $600 spent!!

Do you recommend buying used equipment?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why are you looking to reload? Most reloaders will tell you that you won't save money especially on .223/5.55. If you get into precision shooting or expensive calibers it can make sense or if you just want to learn a new hobby. Just know that it is a huge time investment and if you're reloading .223/5.56 to save money you would probably be better off getting a part time job at McDonald's instead and then just buying bulk ammo.

Do you recommend buying used equipment?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
You may want to start a new thread over in the reloading section. Lots of knowledge over there. Quality used equipment is probably fine. Companies like Dillon have lifetime warranties on most of their presses, so you can't go wrong. If you are looking to save money on .223/5.56 by reloading, there's a good chance your break even point will be a long time in the future. Still a great hobby, and there are many advantages to reloading. The big savings come from the "expensive" calibers- e.g. 44 MAG, 300 BLK, even 45ACP, etc.

You may want to start a new thread over in the reloading section. Lots of knowledge over there. Quality used equipment is probably fine. Companies like Dillon have lifetime warranties on most of their presses, so you can't go wrong. If you are looking to save money on .223/5.56 by reloading, there's a good chance your break even point will be a long time in the future. Still a great hobby, and there are many advantages to reloading. The big savings come from the "expensive" calibers- e.g. 44 MAG, 300 BLK, even 45ACP, etc.

Good advise and info, I have considered getting into reloading but most my calibers are very common and shelf fmj ammo not too expensive. Since I'm not a high volume shooter with my range habits I'll stick to stockpiling off the shelf ammo for now.

Why you singling out red heads? Lol

Red heads are like .50 BMG... ;)

redhead1.jpg

All the semi-autos that I have fired .223 from have been marked as 5.56mm rifles. AR's and Mini-14's.

As for bolt actions, I have no problem shooting 5.56 ammo in my Rem 700 bolt action .223.
This is the same action and barrel blank that are used for rounds like the .308 and 7mm-08 and .243.
If the gun's components can handle those, I'm sure it can handle the 5.56 mm, or any .223 handload, even a super-hot one.

Back
Top Bottom