• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Long term affects of shooting.223 in a 5.56?

All the semi-autos that I have fired .223 from have been marked as 5.56mm rifles. AR's and Mini-14's.

As for bolt actions, I have no problem shooting 5.56 ammo in my Rem 700 bolt action .223.
This is the same action and barrel blank that are used for rounds like the .308 and 7mm-08 and .243.
If the gun's components can handle those, I'm sure it can handle the 5.56 mm, or any .223 handload, even a super-hot one.

It's about headspacing. If a gun marked 223 will chamber a 5.56 guage, it will handle 5.56.

My DDM4A1 is chambered for the 5.56 and of course I know I can shoot the .223. Is there any long term affects for shooting a 223 in the 5.56?

Also, I went shopping yesterday for some 5.56 and it seems like there's more .223 to choose from. Is there a reason for that? High demand for 5.56?

**I'm new to the AR-15**

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No problems shooting 223 in 5.56 barrel. No negative side effects.

Used Dillon presses are great; Dillon has a no-questions-asked lifetime warranty. Hard to find used Dillon presses for a good price though, they go fast.

To me, reloading is not about saving money, it's more about being able to shoot more for the same money. Then there is the added benefit of tailoring ammo that is accurate through your gun.

Back
Top Bottom