Looking for some guidance. Please read.

Im trying to get into the firearms industry probably something along the lines of a product tester, assembly line technician maybe even a grunt to work my way up the ladder. Im just a young man trying to get my foot in the door. Im a little lost on where to start. Ive been a member of this site for a couple of years now and everyone is courteous and real knowledgeable about firearms so i figured my best shot would be on here. Tried a few other routes but honestly have gotten nowhere.

Any and all replies will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and effort in advance.

Get whatever education you can. Get whatever experience you can. And make yourself flexible. If you really want to maximize your chance of success, you have to be ready to make changes in your life.

You said you are young. Are you already anchored down? If "too far" means things like family obligations that can't move, okay. If it means "I can't be bothered to make that much effort to fulfill my own dreams," then you have some more personal development to work on.

I've heard that before. Just too far from my location
My wife commutes 40mi there.

I don't think you're as serious about this venture as you think you are.

Hop in the car and commute.

Move.

Or go work a counter at a range for $15/hr.

Your options are limited.

If you're serious... you need an education more than just gun experience.
And the bonus is that most kinds of education will have more transferable value to other jobs, other careers, if working in the gun industry doesn't pan out for you. That applies to both metalworking education and a business-management type education. Anybody who runs a business would like to promote people who've studied some of the issues related to running a business-- basic business math and bookkeeping, human resources, EEOC / discrimination law, OSHA and workplace safety compliance, basic economics as to supply and demand, pricing models to maximize ROI (return on investment), and other business-related things.

I don't know how far you could ever advance just on starting as an unskilled assistant at a gunsmith shop or counter help, selling guns and accessories to the public, without also having an education.

And you must expect to travel to where the jobs are. If you're too far to commute, MOVE. Rent a home or apartment close to the job you can get, or were offered after an interview. Be 'willing to relocate."

Nothing to add to the advice already provided.
Education and on the job training will help decide
if this is your career direction. As for your kind
statement about everyone in GODT being courteous
and knowledgeable (about firearms)....... my guess
is you have retail experience waiting on the general
public which can make any online group look good.
In closing, a tidbit of amusement.
Q. What is the difference between 'cut the grass'
and 'mow the lawn'?
A. About $75

Back
Top Bottom