• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to start reloading

as others have stated and what I do for loading:

1. Review published data from powder company, projectile company
2. cross check on interweb data for accuracy

I dont typically use a recommended starting load, but rather start shy of the "accurate" load people report SO LONG as said "accurate" load is not close to the maximum.

In my experience, the most accurate loads in .308, .300 aac, and .45 are closer to the start end rather than the max end... at least in the platform I am shooting

In my 223 BDL 700 Remington I shoot a 50gr Hornady SX pushed by an almost max load of Win 748. It does around 1/2". In all honesty, your results will probably differ. I have had good luck with 55 gr FMJ and TAC in my 1-9 twist AR, it also does well with the 55gr v-Max bullets. My absolute best AR load is a near max load of IMR 4198 pushing a Sierra 50gr spritzer, it does under an inch. Truly you need to experiment to see what your gun likes. With >60 gr bullets my AR shoots best with near Starting loads. In my experience, powders such as Varget, IMR 4350, Retumbo and Win 748 shoot best with a near maximum loads, but that is with my guns. Others have good results wit lighter loads. I was never able to get acceptable accuracy in a 223 with 2015, BLC2, 335, 3031 or 4895. Others swear by them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom