• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looking to start reloading...

Sagan

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
38   0
Reaction score
I am looking into reloading for .45 and .223/5.56. Any suggestions on where to start or good value/performance setups? I have absolutely no experience with reloading, i just really don't want to keep paying 18.00/box for target .45 ammo.

Thanks in advance,

Joe

The Lee Turret Press, Lee carbide dies with the powder through expander, Pro auto disc powder measure, a standard powder measure, Lee auto prime hand priming tool, primer pocket cleaning tool, a decent set of scales, a loading tray, and a copy of Modern Reloading. I load using mine without the auto index feature. This allows me to do one step at a time just like a single stage. The extra turrets are only about $10.00, they allow you to set the dies once, and change calibers in seconds. The lee will serve you well for a lifetime. Some will recommend a progressive press, this may be an option for the future, but I can't imagine trying to learn from scratch on a progressive. Others will recommend a single stage, but for the difference in the money I'd go with the turret for convenience and speed. There are other things like a tumbler you'll need hardware wise, but this will get you going. Finally as I tell everyone else, "you won't save money, you'll just shoot more!"

The Lee Turret Press, Lee carbide dies with the powder through expander, Pro auto disc powder measure, a standard powder measure, Lee auto prime hand priming tool, primer pocket cleaning tool, a decent set of scales, a loading tray, and a copy of Modern Reloading. I load using mine without the auto index feature. This allows me to do one step at a time just like a single stage. The extra turrets are only about $10.00, they allow you to set the dies once, and change calibers in seconds. The lee will serve you well for a lifetime. Some will recommend a progressive press, this may be an option for the future, but I can't imagine trying to learn from scratch on a progressive. Others will recommend a single stage, but for the difference in the money I'd go with the turret for convenience and speed. There are other things like a tumbler you'll need hardware wise, but this will get you going. Finally as I tell everyone else, "you won't save money, you'll just shoot more!"

Lee has decent kits that will last forever. I still use a single stage (cause I'm cheap) but I would agree that a turret press is probably best for the $.

I would buy Lee classic kit and use it until you learn how to setup dies and how to work out any problems. Then if you need to load faster you could upgrade to a Dillion 550 press.

lee single stage kit is all you need to get started. that way you dont tie up alot of money and then realize reloading is not for you.

Back
Top Bottom