• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Looks like I probably have Rheumatoid Arthritis

Have a good friend with that and while I am sure there are varying degrees and individual degrees as well, she really has a hard time with it. However she also has Lupus, another autoimmune disease. Seems our bodies have a suicidal bent, trying to kill us against our will.
Hope yours is something else manageable.

A low carb diet is a low inflammation diet. I've heard people swear by the relief when they switched to a low-carb lifestyle.

This +1000.

My wife was suffering from a lot of arthritis pain. She couldn't take arthritis meds because she also takes meds for acid reflux, and they can't be combined. She was getting worse over time, to the point where I was tying her shoes in the morning. We're in our 50's.

I was researching adult stem cell therapy, which seems effective for arthritis sufferers; was seriously considering taking her to clinic in Panama for it. Then, by chance, I watched a Joe Rogan podcast where Jordan Peterson (author of 12 Rules for Life) describes how his young daughter was nearly destroyed by childhood arthritis. She'd had two joints replaced by the time she was 17, was addicted to pain meds, and had a bunch of related maladies. Out of desperation, she fixed herself with a meat/greens diet. Peterson went on the same diet, because his family has a history of auto-immune disorders. He described how he got dramatically healthier in a relatively short period of time.

Talked my wife into trying the same approach, for just a week. We switched to a ketogenic ("keto") eating style. Basically, high fat, moderate protein, low carbs.

I'll skip to the punchline: She started to feel better within a week. Now, seven months later, she's describes her arthritis as 80% to 90% better. It's been nothing short of remarkable. We've both lost about 30 lbs., and we're leading a more active lifestyle.

It's an eating regimen that's easy to live with. I've dieted many times over the years, and I've never sustained a diet for more than a few months. We've accepted this as a permanent lifestyle change. We're not hungry all the time. While we miss some foods, we're perfectly happy with the food we eat. We won't go back to a carb-driven diet.

Keto is becoming popular. Aside from a brief adjustment period of a few days where you might not feel well ("keto flu"), it's easy to live with. You start to feel healthier within a week. A lot of people do it for the weight loss, which is great, but for us, the real benefits are the positive effects on an aging body.

Good reference web site: https://www.ruled.me/

Im only at the doctor to get a diagnosis. Once I know what it is, Im going to try and correct it by natural means. Diet, supplements etc. Im not interested in having 100 side effects while my Dr gets a kickback.

Same here. I have known for a while just from my research that I most likely have some form of an auto-immune problem. And knowing I wouldnt take any Rx for it, I figured theres no use in going to the doctor. But I need some kind of formal diagnosis so I can attack what ever it is properly.

Tested neg for that last year.

Dont think so but we will find out when the bloodwork comes back.

You will hear more about that in my "Know any good Shrinks on the southside?" thread...

I'm sure you've been down the road with all sorts of testing. Just wanted to let you know testing for Lyme and other tick born diseases can be tricky. False negatives are common, there are multiple strains of Lyme that may or not be tested for and there are a host of coinfections that may or may not be included with different tests. Not saying that's the issue just a lot of people and even doctors are unaware of some the issues with testing for things like that. Misdiagnosing is very common. Atypical ms, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, psychological disorders like anxiety, and other autoimmune diseases are common incorrect culprits. Igenex is good testing but pricey (2k for thorough) but there is now a urine test that is accurate if you follow the directions carefully that is only around 500. It requires a few days of antibiotics and 30 minutes of exercise prior to the test. Gettin insurance to pay is often an issue unfortunately.

My wife has had the chronic form for many years so I have been forced to get educated on the subject. I certainly hope it's something else in your case. It is here in the southeast in force though. I do limited work with a foundation and we had a girl get a tick bite here in Kennesaw last year. The tick was saved and sent to igenex for testing and the results showed Lyme disease and several coinfections including babesia.

Whatever it is I hope you get a good solid answer and find a way to get back to a functional, less painful life.

Damn, I hope it's not that and something you can remedy. Hope you find out. Ive got some pain but to be fair is quite manageable....but that also means it could and will get worse for me. But cest la vie my friend, hope you find the answers

This +1000.

My wife was suffering from a lot of arthritis pain. She couldn't take arthritis meds because she also takes meds for acid reflux, and they can't be combined. She was getting worse over time, to the point where I was tying her shoes in the morning. We're in our 50's.

I was researching adult stem cell therapy, which seems effective for arthritis sufferers; was seriously considering taking her to clinic in Panama for it. Then, by chance, I watched a Joe Rogan podcast where Jordan Peterson (author of 12 Rules for Life) describes how his young daughter was nearly destroyed by childhood arthritis. She'd had two joints replaced by the time she was 17, was addicted to pain meds, and had a bunch of related maladies. Out of desperation, she fixed herself with a meat/greens diet. Peterson went on the same diet, because his family has a history of auto-immune disorders. He described how he got dramatically healthier in a relatively short period of time.

Talked my wife into trying the same approach, for just a week. We switched to a ketogenic ("keto") eating style. Basically, high fat, moderate protein, low carbs.

I'll skip to the punchline: She started to feel better within a week. Now, seven months later, she's describes her arthritis as 80% to 90% better. It's been nothing short of remarkable. We've both lost about 30 lbs., and we're leading a more active lifestyle.

It's an eating regimen that's easy to live with. I've dieted many times over the years, and I've never sustained a diet for more than a few months. We've accepted this as a permanent lifestyle change. We're not hungry all the time. While we miss some foods, we're perfectly happy with the food we eat. We won't go back to a carb-driven diet.

Keto is becoming popular. Aside from a brief adjustment period of a few days where you might not feel well ("keto flu"), it's easy to live with. You start to feel healthier within a week. A lot of people do it for the weight loss, which is great, but for us, the real benefits are the positive effects on an aging body.

Excellent post. The weight loss is not inconsequential to the inflammation either. Carrying extra fat, especially belly fat can contribute substantially to inflammation and additionally the excess weight puts a constant strain on joints, especially knees and hips. I have lost 40 lbs essentially just by cutting carbs and sugar to very low levels. Near chronic pain I had in knees and back is gone.

Just cut out all the artificial sweeteners and starches, eat hard boiled eggs every day, take a daily multivitamin or two, drink lots of water, and run until you are winded 3x a week and you’ll be fine

My Mother has lived with it for the last ~20 years, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. She has been on every drug that has ever been made for it, her hands and feet have deformed, and the pain she goes through is terrible. I believe she is on some experimental stuff right now. My parents moved south a few years ago, because the cold weather makes the pain much worse. She sits in a hot tub daily and it helps a lot with the aching. Cherries are believed to help a lot with Arthritis too.

I hope you don't have it, but find the best rheumatologist you can if you do.

How many folks here have it? I havent been officially diagnosed (sitting in the Rheumatologist office now) but had a "Dr. House" type diagnostic doctor diagnose me last week. I obviously hope thats not what I have but I'll take whatever the answer is, just to get an ANSWER. Whatever it is, has robbed me and cost me dearly in every area of my life. Im tired in just about every sense of the word.

Man, I hope and pray that you do not have RA. My father had RA from the time he was 22 until the day he passed at an all too early 61. He had severe RA, disfiguring and crippling RA. Unlike the wear-and-tear damage of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis affects the lining of your joints, causing a painful swelling that can eventually result in bone erosion and joint deformity. There are many diets, food groups, low carb plans that you can try, but don't try and go RA alone. If you are diagnosed with RA, severe or not, the Arthritis Foundation here in Atlanta, is a great place to gather more information. You may need medications to keep RA from destroying the lining of your joints, not just for inflammation, so do not discard medications so rapidly.

A low carb diet is a low inflammation diet. I've heard people swear by the relief when they switched to a low-carb lifestyle.

Good luck and keep us posted!
I'm sure my diet will be changing to some extent once I find out once going on. Thank you and will do.

Have a good friend with that and while I am sure there are varying degrees and individual degrees as well, she really has a hard time with it. However she also has Lupus, another autoimmune disease. Seems our bodies have a suicidal bent, trying to kill us against our will.
Hope yours is something else manageable.
Between our genes, environment, and various chemicals/pesticides on our food, I'm not surprised.

This +1000.

I've tried a couple diets in the last few years to try and get relief but Keto is not one I've done. I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm sure you've been down the road with all sorts of testing. Just wanted to let you know testing for Lyme and other tick born diseases can be tricky. False negatives are common, there are multiple strains of Lyme that may or not be tested for and there are a host of coinfections that may or may not be included with different tests. Not saying that's the issue just a lot of people and even doctors are unaware of some the issues with testing for things like that. Misdiagnosing is very common. Atypical ms, rheumatoid arthritis, fibromyalgia, psychological disorders like anxiety, and other autoimmune diseases are common incorrect culprits. Igenex is good testing but pricey (2k for thorough) but there is now a urine test that is accurate if you follow the directions carefully that is only around 500. It requires a few days of antibiotics and 30 minutes of exercise prior to the test. Gettin insurance to pay is often an issue unfortunately.

My wife has had the chronic form for many years so I have been forced to get educated on the subject. I certainly hope it's something else in your case. It is here in the southeast in force though. I do limited work with a foundation and we had a girl get a tick bite here in Kennesaw last year. The tick was saved and sent to igenex for testing and the results showed Lyme disease and several coinfections including babesia.

Whatever it is I hope you get a good solid answer and find a way to get back to a functional, less painful life.
I have no idea what kind of Lyme test my general physician ran. My diagnostic doctor said he's suspicious of Lyme also. It wouldn't surprise me as I've been bitten by well over 50 ticks in my life thus far. Even walked into a nest of them when walking to school through the woods when I was a kid. Didn't know I had them on me until 20-30 baby ticks were latched and doing their thing. I itched for weeks from them suckers.

Excellent post. The weight loss is not inconsequential to the inflammation either. Carrying extra fat, especially belly fat can contribute substantially to inflammation and additionally the excess weight puts a constant strain on joints, especially knees and hips. I have lost 40 lbs essentially just by cutting carbs and sugar to very low levels. Near chronic pain I had in knees and back is gone.
I'm 5'10, 195lbs. I got down to 172 a couple years ago while on the Candida diet. I felt better but still had several symptoms.

Just cut out all the artificial sweeteners and starches, eat hard boiled eggs every day, take a daily multivitamin or two, drink lots of water, and run until you are winded 3x a week and you’ll be fine
Hard to run when I'm doing good most days to walk normal. Wish it was that easy.

My Mother has lived with it for the last ~20 years, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. She has been on every drug that has ever been made for it, her hands and feet have deformed, and the pain she goes through is terrible. I believe she is on some experimental stuff right now. My parents moved south a few years ago, because the cold weather makes the pain much worse. She sits in a hot tub daily and it helps a lot with the aching. Cherries are believed to help a lot with Arthritis too.

I hope you don't have it, but find the best rheumatologist you can if you do.
Sorry about your mother. I can't imagine, yet I can. I'm hoping the doctor I went to today is good. She took 10-12 vials of blood to send off. We shall see...
Man, I hope and pray that you do not have RA. My father had RA from the time he was 22 until the day he passed at an all too early 61. He had severe RA, disfiguring and crippling RA. Unlike the wear-and-tear damage of osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis affects the lining of your joints, causing a painful swelling that can eventually result in bone erosion and joint deformity. There are many diets, food groups, low carb plans that you can try, but don't try and go RA alone. If you are diagnosed with RA, severe or not, the Arthritis Foundation here in Atlanta, is a great place to gather more information. You may need medications to keep RA from destroying the lining of your joints, not just for inflammation, so do not discard medications so rapidly.

I'll keep the foundation in mind. I was not aware of them. The doctor mentioned putting me on Miloxocam possibly. I told her that I had taken it before and it definitely takes the pain away but I do not like what it does to the rest of the body. Then she told me that its safe if monitored blah blah. I work with a guy that took it "as prescribed" and it ate up his esophagus amongst other digestive organs. I took it sparingly when I had it so hopefully there was no damage. I know what you're saying though... Thanks Jerry.

Back
Top Bottom