• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Loose Dogs

Neither do humans, but we choose to do so because we have an instinct to hunt, just like a dog does.

And we have conservation practices and hunting laws that we are responsible for adhering to while in the woods. The dogs do not - so keep them out of the woods unattended.

I really don't understand what's so difficult about that simple fact...

I don't think dogs should be allowed to roam free.
If you are a dog owner who lets your dogs roam, you need to accept and understand that the dogs could be hurt or killed if they behave the wrong way toward people, or game animals during a hunting season, or other people's pets / livestock/ farm animals.
I'm not saying it's OK for hunters to just shoot random dogs on sight, but sometimes shooting a dog-- even a dog that is "owned" by a family living nearby-- is the right thing to do, and is legal. Other times, other circumstances, it may not be legal, but it should not be totally unexpected either. (Dogs chasing the deer that hunters of a dues-collecting hunting club are going after).

I'm not a betting man but if I was I'd say cats kill more wildlife each year than dogs. Granted, that's mostly birds, but do hunters shoot cats on sight? They're barely domesticated in the first place.

I have found that most people that shoot any dog, specific breed, or collared, are the folks that either hunt on public land, or lease land. They do not own any or enough property to hunt.

If all these "yard" dogs are so skilled at running deer, why is it that folks that run deer with dogs have such a hard time finding good deer running dogs?

If dogs deterred deer from being on a piece of property, then why not tie a dog by the garden to keep the deer out?

I'll shoot a non collared dog if it isn't a specific breed. I do own property and I am also aware of why type of dogs my neighbors have.

Dogs running deer off of a piece of property is as absurd as shooting will "mess up your hunt". If deer ran every time they heard a gunshot, there wouldn't be any deer left in the state of Georgia after dove season.

I was out on my property with my rifle and my Lab. She went into the woods by an open field. 2 deer come out of the woods and stopped in the field. I shot one of them. My lab never even cared one bit about the deer, but if she had not been with me the deer would have either held tight in the woods, or just eased on down the hill.

We've been putting up with asshole out of town, non property owning, city slickers in Putnam county for over 50 years.
They brag about how many "Brush Shots" they get off.
They shoot people goats, cows, horses, sheep, and dogs. Hell they even shoot each other?:wacko:

I've killed many dogs in my life, and I've always owned a dog. I've even killed my own dog, but it wasn't because it was wandering around in the woods.

People who have livestock have the right to defend the livestock against predators. You say, "but a Beagle can't hurt a 1500 pound cow" that's true, but it can make the cow hurt itself, tear down fences, etc.

I have never taken joy in killing someones dog, but if they are actively engaged in harassing livestock, then they just have to be put down.

Killing a dog that's wandering through the woods, would be way worse than killing a Democrat wandering through your neighborhood.

Then next time why not simply ask me my stance...

I've already posted in this thread what I believe to still be the law. First and foremost people should act in accordance with the law, and then deal with each individual situation accordingly.
WTH, man? That's exactly what I did.

"Does that mean you would kill any on sight, like Poop has said he does?"

And we have conservation practices and hunting laws that we are responsible for adhering to while in the woods. The dogs do not - so keep them out of the woods unattended.

I really don't understand what's so difficult about that simple fact...
Unless they've changed since yesterday, the laws we follow don't allow us to legally shoot a dog in the woods. That's the simple fact that all these tough guys won't follow that I don't understand........

yup he a done laser guided killing machine!!! dunt forget 100 yard hmr is a super difficult professional only shot
you know what. all you canine sexual can go hump your dogs. at the end of the day, if you want to keep them alive, keep them. they are and always will be predators. to a dog, a chicken,duck,turkey,goat,horse,cow,emu,and just about any other animal on a farm is to them, a laser pointer to a cat. if you dont get that, your an idiot. as far a a 100yd 17 hmr shot. know that it is the perfect mutt hunting round. you guys just dont get it. any of you classless dog owners who let them run free, are the first to try and press charges if i have to kill one. but your also the first to disown them as soon as they cause damage.. so yes, if a loose dog comes onto my property and chases any of my animals. I KILL IT! if i see a loose dog more than twice in a week, even if it is doing nothing, I KILL IT!!! your worthless dog is not worth more than my animals. if you cant get that, thats your problem.
as far as shooting deer and having them run off, i have yet to have one go more than 20 or so feet. head shot, top of the neck where it meets the skull, or heart. none of this crodless lung/gut shot crap some of you seem to do. i also done trophy hunt, i food hunt. i have let many large gamey bucks walk away, i dont judge my genitals by how big a rack my deer has, i judge them by the size of my wife's rack.
so you dog lovers keep putting peanut butter on your junk.
have fun, and say farewell to your loose dogs. its only a matter of time before they catch a bumper or a bullet.
and its all on you..

you know what. all you canine sexual can go hump your dogs. at the end of the day, if you want to keep them alive, keep them. they are and always will be predators. to a dog, a chicken,duck,turkey,goat,horse,cow,emu,and just about any other animal on a farm is to them, a laser pointer to a cat. if you dont get that, your an idiot. as far a a 100yd 17 hmr shot. know that it is the perfect mutt hunting round. you guys just dont get it. any of you classless dog owners who let them run free, are the first to try and press charges if i have to kill one. but your also the first to disown them as soon as they cause damage.. so yes, if a loose dog comes onto my property and chases any of my animals. I KILL IT! if i see a loose dog more than twice in a week, even if it is doing nothing, I KILL IT!!! your worthless dog is not worth more than my animals. if you cant get that, thats your problem.
as far as shooting deer and having them run off, i have yet to have one go more than 20 or so feet. head shot, top of the neck where it meets the skull, or heart. none of this crodless lung/gut shot crap some of you seem to do. i also done trophy hunt, i food hunt. i have let many large gamey bucks walk away, i dont judge my genitals by how big a rack my deer has, i judge them by the size of my wife's rack.
have fun, and say farewell to your loose dogs. its only a matter of time before they catch a bumper or a bullet.
and its all on you..

then you will have charges pressed against you and it will be no ones fault but your own.

and what do you say about if your on public land and see a dog running around. Even if it ruins your hunt you have no more right to that land than the dog or its owner. An animal on your person property attacking you or your property is one thing but an animal running free on public property and not doing anything is a completely different thing, period.

and fyi I don't think anyone in this thread has tried to judge their genitals by their bucks, shots they can take, or their wifes body parts but you.

and I also didn't discredit the 17hmr as being a good dog sized round as it does excellent on yotes but I am discrediting a 100 yard shot with one as being difficult

and its all on you..
You're a real piece of work, man. You talk about classless white trash, but pal, you need to look in the mirror.

You're a real piece of work, man. You talk about classless white trash, but pal, you need to look in the mirror.
please. you just love dogs and cant see past it. you no better then blm claiming cops are bad. it can never be your fault. dont you get that the solution to any chance of your dog being killed, is taking the responsibility and keeping it up? only trash lets a dog run loose, if thats what you are, go but your wife a tube top. i think all the flea markets are open tomorrow.
all of the dogs i have owned have been in pens or on runners. if i own them, i am responsible for their actions. if they do damage or even threaten anyone in any way on their property, they have had and always will have the right to kill them. if i keep them off of others property and on mine, i have nothing to fear. if someone kills them on my property thats another story.
your dogs running loose are an invasive species, they are non indigenous predators set loose on the land. they will be dealt with as such...

Back
Top Bottom